Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question Everyone

gware12

I read alot about people finding silver coins at old homesteads, however I have visited a few and have even not found a penny. I know I am new to this but, do you have to look around very large old homes. I think that if a family was poor they probably did not have any coins to loose. Any insight would be great.

I'd say common sense would dictate poor folk have less, and may watch what they have closer, but you never can tell!

Always hit the easy hot spots first, to get a quick idea what may be available...

Tree swing, clothesline location, front porch, shade trees...

There's something to find, darn near everywhere!

Usually old homes are trashy. Trashy is hardest for a newbie to MD. Old homes are what I hunt the most. I wouldn't think of MD'ing it with out a smaller coil than stock. The stock coil picks up multiple targets and you think it is trash. The trash masks the good target. The older targets are generally deeper and are hard to detect because of the masking effect. The less trash a home has, I seem to find more good targets. A very trashy home I am lucky to find anything. If you take time and dig out all the trash, the good stuff will be underneath. That is not always practical. Many places I would need a dump truck. I personally don't believe that people were so poor they didn't lose anything. I am in one of the poorer states and there is always something. I don't seem to find as many rings as most others, but there is something to be found. Take your time and MD carefully under the clothes line. That is always a hot spot.

Well, homesteaders had little money to begin with. Where people (detectorists) have lucked out with is digging up a cache of coins. Very rare, but it happens. Someone else may have beaten you to the spot. If one spot doesn't produce, just move on to another. All of us hit spots which are non-producers. Don't forget to "DIG-ALL" at these places, as the object could be very old and not necessarily read as a good target. ALLof us dig lots of junk, we just don't show it.

Thanks those suggestions really help. I have an ACE 250 so I guess I need to get the sniper coil. any thoughts about sniper coil/

It's the luck of the draw, mostly. Even if you hunt bigger, more urban homes, where your likelihood of finding silver seems greater (and may in fact BE greater), you still might get nothing.

I've hunted some rural sites out in the middle of nowhere where no trace of a house remained, and gotten silver. Sometimes OLD silver. Then again, I've struck out many times, too. Such is the nature of these places. You never know- some of these places are truly remote and it is hard to imagine anything ever being there. Usually only one or two good finds result, if I get anything at all.

Even if you do everything right, there is still gonna be that element of plain old luck, working for you or against you.

Remember, Lady Luck favors the persistent. But not necessarily the stubborn. There's a difference between "persistent" and "stubborn". If you are consistently getting nothing, then try, try again, by all means. But learn from your mistakes, too. Maybe you didn't even make any mistakes, but constantly thinking and strategizing and fine-tuning your hunting technique will help you anyway. The persistent man doesn't let some bad luck discourage him, while the stubborn man hunts the same old nonproducing sites again and again. Both are better than the pessimistic man who throws in the towel and quits, though. A persistent man who learns has the greatest odds of success. A stubborn man too can sometimes make a good find or two, by being stubborn, but not as much as if he added a little thinking to go with his bullheadedness. The quitter gets nothing. I would rather be persistent than stubborn, and rather be stubborn than a quitter. (I've worn all three hats in my time, though).

Ask yourself where you would be lying if you were an old silver coin. Go to places where such coins were obviously carried, and spent, and lost. And try, try again. Even on the best of sites you may not be successful at first. But then again, sometimes those apparently stingy sites can conceal one or two good coins (sometimes REALLY good coins), and it takes a stubborn (or better yet, persistent) soul to find them.

The law of averages says you'll get the goodies eventually, if you go to the right places, often enough. And if you're smart enough to figure out where the right places are, and keep hitting them, Lady Luck will smile upon you... eventually.

She likes to take her sweet time about it, though.

Don't forget that many of those old places maybhave had an OUT HOUSE out back.
MD around that if you can find where it once stood. Dig therre too if you have the time. May
come up with some surprising finds.

Robert R

Old homesteads are not always the bonanza on thinks they are. People back then had very little money to lose and they carried coins in coin purses or small coin sacks with a draw string. Also detectors have been around since about 1931 and you are far from the first person to ever detect that site.

Bill

[quote robert roy]Don't forget that many of those old places maybhave had an OUT HOUSE out back.
MD around that if you can find where it once stood. Dig therre too if you have the time. May

Robert R[/quote]

Yea for sure. Petro Fied Turds.........:yikes: Oh wait. Those won't show on a detector.....:rofl:

[quote robert roy]Don't forget that many of those old places maybhave had an OUT HOUSE out back.

Robert R[/quote]When the outhouse was moved, they usually finished filling the hole with garbage. Every thing has since decayed except OLD BOTTLES.......and any coins dropped while folks were pulling up their britches:thumbup: