Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about the MXT PRO

TNreb

I think I have pretty much decided on getting the MXT PRO but have a couple questions. I currently am using a DFX 300 with a stock coil but feel I am missing some deeper targets. For example on mercury dimes I just get a quick chirp on targets 5" or more. Will the MXT PRO find these with a sharper tone? I mainly hunt relics and old coins. I find a lot of relics here in east Tennessee but I am going to the DIV in March and I hear the DFX is not the best machine to take on that Culpepper soil. I know the MXT PRO will do well for relics but how does it do on deeper coins? How are the tones say for deep dimes?

The guys and gals more familiar with the Pro will answer your question, I'm sure, but I know the DFX. It sounds like you have the recovery speed set to high or too fast of a swing speed setting or ground filter set too high. I would suggest recovery of 15, Swing speed of 1 and filters set to 3 or 4.

The MXT Pro with the advanced ground tracking may very well do you a better job at the DIV than the DFX and a Pulse like the TDI would be the best in that ground.

TNreb said:
I think I have pretty much decided on getting the MXT PRO but have a couple questions.
My personal opinion is that the MXT Pro is probably the best, versatile detector White's offers today. Good choice, but all good detectors need a good coil for the task at hand.

TNreb said:
I currently am using a DFX 300 with a stock coil but feel I am missing some deeper targets. For example on mercury dimes I just get a quick chirp on targets 5" or more.
A DFX 300 came with a 12" concentric as a "stock coil" which I like. That is, the 12" coil I like, and when I like it is for some coverage of larger, more open, sparse-target sites. Especially handy for searches where the predicted targets are medium-to-large in size, but not a good choice for coins-sized targets, especially the smaller-size US 10

Thank you Monte. I have different coils for the DFX and I have tried numerous programs and I still can not get a good solid tone on a merc that is 5" or more. I have found several but they just give a chirp and then you have to go over target very slowly to get a quick dime signal. Also I have gotten used to just listening for the tone rather than watching the display. I know the DFX is a great machine but I was thinking that since most of my hunting is for relics that maybe the MXT would be much better for me. So now I am thinking about the MXT PRO with a 6 X 9 coil.

I don't have a "yes it will or no it won't answer" for you.In my ground,trash density of the sites,I hunt in South Dakota I get better and deeper I.D's on coins with my MXT Pro than with my DFX.I used the D2 or 6X10 DD coils.Running the DFX in 15khz frequency seems to help some.

TNreb said:
Thank you Monte. I have different coils for the DFX and I have tried numerous programs and I still can not get a good solid tone on a merc that is 5" or more.
There are many times I can't get an accurate Target ID or a good VDI lock-on or tight numbers on small coins deeper than 5". Still, of all the models I have used from White's I feel the DFX was, all around, one of the poorest performers in the mid-to-upper price range. I'm considering using ALL of the same search coils on them in different types of sites. The M6, MXT, DFX and Spectra V3's were all compared, and the DFX was at the bottom of my list of favorites for depth, target responsiveness, and depth of detection and TID combined.

TNreb said:
I have found several but they just give a chirp and then you have to go over target very slowly to get a quick dime signal.
One of my challenges, due to site selection, is that I am hunting in some trashy environments, or trying to work in and around brush when working in the woods or dense desert growth, or in building rubble or plowed fields with uneven ground. I need a detector that let me hunt at a moderate or better sweep speed when the conditions allow, but will still give a good, abrupt response on targets when I need to slow down. Nothing from White's has met the match like the MXT models or the junior offering, the M6.

TNreb said:
Also I have gotten used to just listening for the tone rather than watching the display. I know the DFX is a great machine but I was thinking that since most of my hunting is for relics that maybe the MXT would be much better for me. So now I am thinking about the MXT PRO with a 6 X 9 coil.
That's what I do most of the time, just listen to the audio response. If you have a detector that shows a reasonably good TID/VDI, and you're using the right coil for the type of site, then I think hearing a good audio is still the #1 desire to have, but a little complimentary visual display info is a nice plus in any case.

I used to have a lot of coils for my detectors years ago, and sometimes even now I have been set up that way. A decade or so ago I used to tote a White's Classic III SL with the 4

bud212002 said:
TNreb, Where in East Tenn. are You? I am about 45 miles East of Knoxville.

Lenoir City closer to Farragut.