Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about Se and re booting

silverdime

I been having some problems and have narrowed it down to noise channel. The funny part is I have used channel 5 since i got the Se and never had a problem "That was almost 2 years ago". But now if i have it in 5 the reading are off and it false alot. I can use any noise channel but 5 and have no problems. I have used this detector in 3 states and got some of my best finds with the Se. But now no matter where i am at as long as it in channel 5 the detector is mess up.

I have clean the loop cover "few times" and tonight after messing around with different setting have narrowed the problem to noise channel.

It still under warranty but before i send it in I would like to know if their is 2 ways to reboot the Se. I know you can hold in the on button to get pre settings but that does not help. I thought their was a second way? Does anyone know?

Thanks.

I run in

am
sound ferr
Gain 7
sens 22
variability 8

Most detectors can rebooted by turning on the detector and removing the battery while on... wait a bit then reinsert the battery. Mine got a little jumpy but just resetting to basic program seemed to settle it. Id recommend calling NV minelab just to ask.

THANKS!
Sorry i should added that in my first post because i have try that all ready and it does not reboot the detector... Like i said only thing that help was noise channel. I think the ground track balancing system got a problem. I was digging up rocks but when i air test the rocks the detector would not sound off But on the ground it did.

If i air test coins they read fine now but when i hit test garden usa coins still don't read right all the time but it better. I was on my way to another state 1k miles away "Going to leave today" and was hoping i could get the problem solved without sending it in.

If anyone knows anything that could help or if their is another way to reboot the se. usa quarter reads up to 30 and before the same coin in the same ground was 27-29. Like all usa coins went up 1. Dimes before would read 3-28 4-28 now read like silver dimes 29 and silver reads in the 30 range ect... If i air test the coins everything reads find. Its only when the detector see the ground when it mess up but not nearly as bad as before.

Which hurts when hunting in hot rock area because hot rocks come in at 30-31. If anyone had this problem or knows something i could try please leave a post thanks.

Its been my experience when my numbers start moving up the scale its because i have a high sensitivity setting. Its called wrap around. Thats why at depth some coins move to the negitive reading. Playing with your sensitivity or recovery may help. You are correct on the hot rocks hitting 00/31. We travel full time and ive hunted around the country. Not only hot rock give you trouble, but cinders, decidagraded cans/lids, as well as magnatite and heminatite do also when you get nothing in the hole. According to the manual the noise cancel does set the random freqs which the explorer uses. Unlike the Sov which is set every 1.5 kHz. I have noticed in most cases if i auto noise cancel channel 5 or 6 seems to be the best choice. For me noise cancelling at normal detecting height works best even thou the manual recommends 30 cm above the ground.

"All reading ar from air testing"

Well for what ever reason the noise cancel channels effect the readings on my Se. In some channels with a fast recovery on U.S.A copper penny reads and new dimes read 3/29. I can even make penny read 3/29 and new dime will read 4/28. this is after it was sent in and came back with same problem. In some channels reading stay the same arrg on same penny and dime and my barber dime 4/28. Never had this problem before.

Before this problem Copper pennys read 4/28 and new dimes would read 3/28. silver dimes 2/29 or 3/29 ect....

Very unhappy with minelab warranty service for the u.s.a and will not be buying another minelab.Not becuase I think thier is a problem with the detector still but the way the service tech handle the issue and what was said. Starting the conversation off with "you know how old circuit board's get" "1 1/2 old detector is old"? I understand user is at fault 99.9% of the time but this time i have to say it's the detector.

Hey Silver dime, detecting is not a exact science.
As you travel ground conditions change and as such so should your settings!
You probably can't run the same settings in Florida and California for example as the ground in California has more minerals which WILL throw off the numbers on some targets.

Even air conditions change as we have different kinds of interference. (i.e electric fences, radio towers, power lines etc)

If you ever used a DFX you would know that different frequency's will give different readings on the discrimination, as they are more sensitive towards a certain target.
For example 3Khz is better for high conductive silver and copper while 15 kHz will do better for shallow small targets and low conductors like gold, nickel.

For me 30-31 means iron nails and similar iron targets.

So in other words it is normal that with a different frequency another number will be displayed for the same target.

So if I made this understandable it is nothing wrong with your machine, it does what it's supposed to do and what is "natural" for it.
I think your just to fixated on numbers. Dig more and find more.

Good Hunting!
Eu

I have used this detector in 3 states mi/KY/AL. I understand how different ground can effect the detector. I have detected for over 20 yrs going back to tone only white detector. . I have used mxt/xl pro/white 6000/ whites 6000 id/dfx/ minelab Se. The se work great for about yr or so. Could pin point like a champ and the oldest coins I have found came from the Se. I know this detector. I know readings change and that why i all so know that it is mess up now. I also know that one should when at a new site dig all + targets untill you under stand the reads of coins or junk.

The Se had a problem pinpoint/readings but a reboot or setting it back per factory settings would fix the problem " hold in the power button on start up" and all i had to do was put back in my old settings untill that stop working. In fact i can link you to one of my post In another thread bragging about the se. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?10,488257,page=3 read dfi statement and that was me one yr ago. I forgot my name so i made up a new one. Let me see if i can log on to my old account dfi.

Nope don't remeber my password.

I went from digging 5 inch round hole up to 9+ inchs down on coins. Now i'm digging 10 inch round holes and if i do a 90 same coins will pin point in 2 spots ><. Problems like this i never had. Me and a buddy that use a white 5900 sl di compared the detector out in the field before i had any problems and i was happy with the detector " even tho all coins I hit he could hit but the Se gave more info on the coin in the ground i did couple times tell him he was digging a 1940/45 nickel. When the se would read nickel he's white would read dime. put 2 and 2 togather and you have a silver war nickel :).

I don't understand how pin pointing went from digging small hole round holes to creators In same the same areas/spots. I went from being able to tell what i dig to now i'm guessing. But then again you know how old circuit boards get err.

Hey Silver dime, that sounds odd indeed. Pinpoint,even on my old Expl II is great, and I bought mine used.
But on the other hand I rarely use the pinpoint function any ways.

If you are as experienced as you say and you are certain something is wrong then go and ask them at Minelab again, hopefully someone more helpful will be there this time.
That's what I would do.

I would check out how it pinpoints in your yard and see how it air tests various coins to see if there is a problem with the detector. It may have developed a fault, sounds like you need to go through the process of elimination to see what is going on with it.

Done all that, copper peny read same as normal dimes. In the ground copper pennys read like silver dimes. After reading about freqs and what nosie channel does. It for some reason has cancel out a freq that i can not get back One good thing after spend some time detecting in the yard i finally got it to pin point again. I was over a target for like 5 mins just keep doing a 90 untill I only got one traget and ever since then it pin poiints like a champ.

But the damn reading are still miss up. I wish to god I never bought a minelab the warranty service blows. Even for the extra depth it was not worth the money. Sad part best find i have got came from the se but if it only good for a year and service is crap imo it was waste of money. Buyer beware. Minelab us service sucks and after they had my dectector for 2 month all the did was bench test it???? no peressure test??? Sent back asking if i use another coil???? what waste 25 bucks.

Heres the kicker after talking to the tech that work on my se and he seen i was hot he try to tell me he replace everthing on the inside lol. If they was going to do that they would just gave me new detector. Beside i have the work sheet all he did was change the board for the screen.

USED AND OWN for 2 1/2 yrs.

It's is my coil cuase some of the problem if not all of the problems . But minelab tech said there was nothing wrong with the coil????? But i can reboot the detector with the coil off it and hook it up and the reading are very close to what the detector was like new. nickels 10/5, new pennys 5/26, but silver dimes/new dimes and copper pennys read 3/29. If i turn the detector on with the coil hook on silver coin read 4/28. new dimes read 3/29. and copper pennys 3/29. But the detector has alot harder time locking on when when the coil hook up and turn it on. compared to taking it off. This is bench testing with the coin 1 inch away.