Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about S-1 probe... thank you!

epi-hunter

I posted below about being in the process of buying a Sovereign GT and I just spoke with Ralph at Sun Ray who told me that they no longer make the S-1 probe for the GT because of a mounting part being discontinued by Minelab. Using a detector without a Sun Ray probe is not something I'm willing to do.... so can someone tell me - if I purchase this probe used or new off ebay, will I be able to install it myself (ie, will all parts for mounting and installation be included)? Or does it require Sun Ray installation? I would assume if the latter, then they would not be able to install it due to not having the mounting part available. I have used probes that have to be mounted by Sun Ray as well as ones that just snap on or easily fasten on by the user. Not sure which this is.

Thanks for any help!

Wow, sorry to hear they won't make the S-1 for the Sovereign anymore. I think those mount with the Minelab V-clips that the meters use and also prior Sovereign control boxes to the Elite and GT which use a different mounting system. I've owned the inline probes on a few of my Explorers but I prefer the Garrett Pro Pointer these days for weight and other issues on the shaft, but there are many who love the inlines on the Sovereigns.

I asked in the Sun Ray forum if they are going to still make the S-5, S-12, and 8" BBS coils. Haven't looked to see if I got an answer on that, so I'm going to check right now.

If you have your heart on a new Sun Ray inline probe I bet some authorized Sun Ray dealers have both the probe and the V-clip in stock if you look around. At least I think the Sovereign inlines use the V-clip. Also, might want to check with Plugger who makes shafts that are sold through Findmall sponsors for the Sovereigns and Excals. He has V-clips on many of his shafts for mounting the Minelab meters or prior-to-Elite Sovereign control boxes. Maybe he makes the V-clips himself? Anybody know?

The one I sent you comes with everything you need to mount the box and it also has the probe holder. You won't need anything.

That is great news... I wasn't sure, but I knew I needed the S-1 even if I had to attach it with duct tape. :) Have had Sun Ray probes on my E-Trac, SE, and v3i, and love them.

Thank you so much for the sale, the advice/assistance, and the fast shipping! You are the greatest :)

Thank you for the info! I did panic a little after Ralph told me that. :) I do have my heart set on the S-1. I am too accustomed to the Sun Ray probes. I could not dig the deep silver with the E-Trac without it :)

I did buy an S-1... the person I bought it from (mazarelo) who posted in this thread was very helpful and said I would have everything I needed to mount it.

Still deciding whether to go with a used or new GT, but honestly, if I have to pay $700 for one that is a few years old and out of warranty - and considering they will not be available after this month - an extra $350 for a new machine and 5 year warranty sounds like a better option right now. I don't need a meter - the tones are enough.

I have read nothing but great things about the Sovereign GT. I will be spending 2013 learning it.

Thanks all :)

These V clips were used on all the different Sovereign from the original thru the GT and notice they are not in the price list anymore, so they must be discontinued. There is still a few of these V clips around and maybe Digger still has some left and I know I have a couple extra shafts that have them on and they can have the rivet drilled out and put on a different shaft, so if you cant find any new ones you can give me P.M. and I can take one off for you and send it to you. These clips are riveted on, so you will have to rivet it back on your shaft as I believe the holes are there.

I use the Garrett Pro Pointer. Can't imagine trying to hunt without it. I carry a dime in my left hand to increase the sensitivity of the pointer. Saw a video on one of the forums showing how to do that. Minelab also make a pointer that may be a little more sensitive than the Garrett. More expensive also. I have only had my Sovereign Gt for a little over four months. Still learning the tones. I think it is a great machine.

If you search the main detecting forum a few months back a guy did an air testing video of the Minelab against the Pro Pointer. The Minelab got slightly more depth, but then the guy did another in field actual hunt video and found in the ground the Minelab didn't get nearly the depth of the Pro Pointer for some reason. Big of a Minelab fan as I am that pin pointer is said not to have as strong of a vibrate or sound off as the Pro Pointer, both of which are important to me. Super tuned the Pro Pointer matches or beats the Minelab when it's super tuned as well. I think Minelab should lower the price of their pin pointer to say $40 cheaper than the Pro Pointer so it would then become a possible less expensive back up to one's Pro Pointer. I'm with you, I can't imagine detecting without the Pro Pointer now. Too spoiled with it.

Check this pictorial I did a few weeks ago out on the Pro Pointer and a better way to super or detune it than using a coin, washer, or a ring...

Easy To "Make" Super/De-Tuner For ProPointer. Precisely Calibrate 1-Handed With Your Thumb & Hands Free Once Set Too.

I have since tweaked a few things and content in this video and updated some stuff, as I have also done with all my other prior videos on my channel to, dealing mostly with the Sovereign or Excalibur thus far.

So far for me this is the easiest, lowest hassle, one handed (with your thumb) way I've tried yet to super or de tune the Pro Pointer, and the best part is it offers precise calibration and "scaling" to get things "just right" in either super or de-tuning for maximum performance compared to numerous methods I've tried before. It won't snag in your holster either, as did some other methods I tried in the past, and anybody can "make" the stupid thing in about two minutes and probably has the item needed laying around the house. Also, once you calibrate it there is no need to hold it in place as you use the Pro Pointer like other methods. I always thought a washer hanging from a string tied to the back of my Pro Pointer was easy enough to use one handed. This method in this pictorial is even easier and more precise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ozNtD-dKh8

If anyone is interested, YOU MUST CALL ME for further details!! My cell# is (302) 354-5661 and you can call me uptil MIDNIGHT
e.s.t Les Robinson