Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about metal hunting and the law

CaptainTrips

Hi! I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if this topic has been discussed before. I would like to find some resource regarding the legalities of metal hunting in public locations. You know, beaches, parks, etc. (I live in San Diego, if that is of any help.)

Not only am I new to this forum, but I am new to this entire sport. I am trying to determine some good areas to hunt around here, and knowing the legalities will help. Once I know where I can hunt, I can then decide on what model detector I want to start with. (I am currently leaning towards the Garrett Ace 250, which seems to be a good, all-around beginners unit.)

Hey, any and all good advice to a novice will be welcome!

Years ago these same questions went through my mind. Beaches: I found out what agency was responsible for them (Local Parks & Receration or?)You can also find local clubs on-line who can answer your Q. Just punch in -Metal Detecting on California Beaches- and a host of info will come on the screen. There are many small communities all along the 101 that have there on little Quirks.
In small communities I eather found a lawinforcement person on the street, or found the local PD station and ask there. Especially about local parks,as most have restriciions on some parks with Historical connections, while allowing you to hunt others.Look on line for a local metal-detector Dealer, and pay him a visit. Most are more than willing to answer the local does & dont,s. WELCOME TO A GREAT HOBBY/& Sport.(if one can keep it in that perspective)
Should you wake yourself up in the middle of the night hearing a loud Yahoooo/or gold/ gold it's all Mine...Could be you have been Bit/ Smitten/ got the bug. The only relief I have ever found for that condition...KEEP-DIGGIN & DIGGIN & DIGGIN..with a smile!

I Know from personal experience that this is very true. The problem is mainly to do with digging the hole or disturbing the ground - park officials can go insane when they see you digging or even just sweeping the coil , If i ever go to a park to detect then i know its a gamble as to how many hours on the park i will manage before getting booted off, i have been booted off parks after only 3 minutes detecting other times i can get an hundred hours in. The bottom line is you can EXPECT sooner or later to get hassled off the park, I can only advise anyone who is thinking of doing parks to get prepared for some shi+!. I used to like detecting on parks over here in the uk but i now dont think its worth the hassle and i work the open country as i dont get any hassle or aggravation. Its guaranteed to get you disillusioned if you door parks as you will think the whole world is against metal detecting! - honest. I can write a book about the kind of Shir+ you will get off people when your seen digging a hole on a park. You need to get the target out in record time when on a park to minimise the time spent on the floor digging AND the recovery must be like good plastic surgery (undetectable disturbance on the grass) so you dint get fined for criminal damage, i can usually detect and remove the target within a minute which is the MAXIMUM time you should be "caught" digging because if your down in the dirt digging for more than a few minutes then your chances of getting approached by some stupid old baster+ dog walker or Park telling you to pi$$ Io f is increased . I have worked parks for over 20 years so i know what to expect. Been close to been jailed once or twice too for refusing to leave. Parks dint interest me anymore mostly like i say because of the aggravation factor mainly.

Just ask the local police what's legal & what aint. Applies to state, federal, city & county agencies & school districts (if ya have em). Play it safe, always ask the law that governs where ya want to hunt and if possible ALWAYS try & get it in writing or at least the ID of the person that said ok.

Simple business cards help some too.

HH

Larry-Katy Texas

I don't know about the laws in your area, but like others have said, check first if in doubt. As far as the ACE250 goes, I bought one 10 days ago. I have been away from detecting for 20 years and after reading good things about this one, I bought it. For various reasons, I have only used it once for 30 mins. Will get out again tomorrow (I hope). I am finding it very responsive to everything in the ground. As with any new detector, you will have to practice.

If you do purchase the ACE, there is a lot of information available in the Garrett forum, and also on Yahoo, there is a group just for the ACE 250. Also, call Garrett at the 800 number. They have a new DVD available at no charge to registered owners. I just received mine and found it very informative.

Ernie

HI

welcome to the hobby ! I don't live in CA. But,I all ways check with people about the laws,for this sport.all state's have there ways of doing thing's. well,I hope you enjoy this hobby,I do.

P.S ALWAYS COVER UP YOUR HOLES !

PRISCILLA:detecting::detecting:

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about there being a Yahoo! group, I'll bet there are a few related to this hobby. I'll be sure to check out the Ace250 group. I've already taken a glance at the Garrett forum, intend to go through it all.

You said the dvd is for registered owners. I'll be sure to get it if/when I buy the Ace.

Yesterday was the Earth Day Fair here, and I asked at a few of the parks/rec tables for the city/county/state. The best they could tell me was the same as I've been hearing elsewhere -- check with the individual park rangers. One of the rangers I spoke to said she says okay to metal hunters but only in the campground (not out on the trails - understandable) and not on weekends. Her ideas are that, as long as it doesn't interfer with other people, or damage wildlife or historic areas, she sees no problem with it.

I really want to get into this hobby, but I do want to do it all within the law. The various rangers agreed with me that this was the best way to enter the hobby, and that it does sound like fun -- as long as you do it properly.

I will not disturb any wildlife. I will not disrupt any historic/archeological site (without express and written permission.) I will fill all holes. I will remove all trash I find. I will do all I can to leave a site the same or better than I arrived. I will respect all things/people.

You may consider the above paragraph an oath. And I stand by my oaths.

C.T.

In most cases MDing in California's city/county parks is OK. Just practice common sense methods like always filling your digs, etc.
Once in a while you may meet a grumpy grounds keeper in a park that may tell you to leave. And, I've heard of a few Calif. cities here and there that have some regulations on MDing but that's pretty rare. Mostly it's fine.

Calif. Beaches are almost always OK too except for a few private or federal beach areas.

But, national parks and other federal properties are off limits. Don't do it there. You're liable to get arrested. Lots of State parks are off limits too (except most beaches) -- better check first. For more info on this Google for "antiquities act"

EC

Saturday I asked the Town Marshal of a small (850 pop.) town in southern Arizona. He told me he didn't think there was a problem and if he didn't get any complaints it was OK. He followed up with, "If I find out it's not OK, I won't arrest you -- I'll just tell you."

I think his attitude was good because of my approach and because I asked if there were any city ordinances "on the books" which restricted or regulated metal detecting in city parks. I didn't ask if it was OK or not, I asked him a yes or no question. If it was just his opinion, he could have said that it was NOT OK (in his opinion) then I would not have been able to MD. There is a diference between law and opinion.

Take care, and God Bless!
Ken

Yes, the Ace 250 is likely the best under $250 new detector. San Diego has alot of crime but if you dare detect there (hunting partner might make it somewhat safer), there are plenty of old areas. I'd guess like most places, most parks & schools have been worked over hundreds or thousands of times. But you should at least be able to find new coins. In big cities, real crime keeps the police pretty busy, so detecting should be OK if you're not wrecking the place. In some small towns you may get kicked out just because they're paranoid of strangers. But in those cases asking the local police can be helpful as when someone with no authority tells you that you can't detect there, you can tell them you have permission from the police, so they won't call them & try to make a problem where there isn't any. HH, George (MN)

Not only do you have State and Federal laws and restrictions, you also have local laws to contend with. I would suggest you check with your local Parks and Recreation office. They will let you know about whatever towns parks you are hunting at the time. Most, but not all, beaches are accessible for detecting, and a good place too I might add. Be warned though, you could lose your equipment if you violate some laws. You (must) ask in most situations and avoid State and Federal areas as well and Historical ones. Good luck, Welcome to a great Hobby, and Post your good finds. Fred/in Fla.

I still think I'd like to get an answer before I have to beg forgiveness -- especially in legal issues. It's easier to handle being told "no" than it is to ask a judge to forgive you, remove any fine, prevent any jail time, and return confiscated equipment.

So, even if I think I won't like the answer, I'll still ask the question!

C.T., Learn to use your new detector in your own yard. A beginner learning to pinpoint targets can lead to a lot of unnecessary digging.Use a screwdriver to dig with and recover your finds.Too many hunters are using these small shovels which drive these park rangers mad.Make your self invisible search in a area away from the crowds,that way your not bothered either.Wear a carpenter's apron for your trash.Finally,remember your a tax payer(federal state and local) that has as much rights to be in these parks as anyone else with or without the metal detector. Ron

Mr. RingProfessional, I am new to this hobby and I sure hope people with your attitude are the minority.