Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about Ground Balancing

SHardy

I know what the manual says about ground balancing, but I have a question about all the noise I hear when hunting and does it have to do with ground balancing.

I pick up a lot of iron and hot rock signals while hunting and it can sometimes make it hard to hear the good signals. I have turned the sens down to 5-7, but it

I have noise all the time,Some is normal for MXT, By turning it down to 5 makes it so you will hear only shallow targets---I lock as soon as I ground balance--But locked or unlocked I have the same noise-I just dont pay much attention to the noise----It is possible you have a problem with your MXT and you are hearing more noise than normal--Do you know any one else who has a MXT so you could see if theirs has the same noise as yours does

There is no denying that the MXT is a noisy beast. It is the price one pays
for all that sensitivity and high frequency of operation.:)

Ground locking is really good for areas where there is a lot of iron, though
you will still get good sounding hits when you sweep over some of the larger
pieces.

I don't know how much experience you've had, so I hope I don't offend you.

How loud are you running the Threshold? It is supposed to just be barely
audible. If your threshold hum is louder than that, the MXT will be considerably
noisier, just back off the threshold until it is barely audible. Also, depending on
ground mineralization and coil used, there is an optimum sensitivity setting beyond which the MXT
becomes unstable. Back off the sensitivity until it is stable and no more, if you back
off more you are just giving up depth.

If your ground is highly mineralized, you should switch to a DD coil.

For some additional tips, check out the MXT FAQs by Reno Chris. You can get it at:
http://www.ighunters.net/index.htm
Click on the Tutorials button.

I coinhunt 100% of the time in relic, center switch position, sensitivity +1 to +3, disc knob at 3 o'clock. With these settings all coins give a high tone, except for nickels. And most trash (& iron ground noises) give a low tone. I tried coin mode & was totally disappointed at how loud the "rejected" signals were. In the 2 tone relic mode, I regularly dig coins close to trash & iron. If you give relic center a try, let us know if that helps. HH, George (MN)

I think I see the problem. you said " I have turned the sens down to 5-7, but it

Yes, the sensitivity knob is really a multi-purpose knob. It controls the amount
of audio boost as well as the pre-amp gain. It is one of the little gems hidden
inside the Engineer's Report that came with the MXT.

I am not real well seasoned on my MXT yet, but I would like to share what I believe is going on with the MXT, concerning the extra noise I hear over some others I have used. I would hope someone will correct me if my assumptions are wrong.
Assumptions:
1. I think the MXT is one of the more powerfull(Sensitive) machines I have ever used.
2. There is a fair ammount of software involved in its operation and specifically in it's discrimination process.
3. It appears that as I sweep this powerful machine first detects any object of metalic quality and then processes it out if it does not conform to the programming we have given it.(our knob settings such as coin, relic, prospecting.)
4. Very often there is indeed a sound just before it nulls out the unwanted object.(I now look for that null as one of the audible messages of this powerfull device, and I often take the opportunity to flip to coin and relic to further investigate, when time permits. I have actually found some pretty cool non-coin things this way.)
5. This audible acuity of the machine is not a bad thing, but just a peculiarity of this powerful machine.(It did distract me at first but now I just see it as a sign that things are really working, and it has become just another very readable and decearnable feature of the machine. Hence I have gone from being distracted by it, to seeing it as a desirble attribute.)
6. I suspect this extra feature of this machine results from the fact that as far as I know, (And I admit I know very little.) This is the only machine with a software package and frequency combination that allows it to operate with three very functional modes.

To conclude at first I was very uneasy with it. But every time I use it I become more inpressed and at the momment it is my favorite of 4 detectors I own. All pretty dang good machines in their right.

As always I wish you all

Luck Larry