Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about deep coins/relics etc.

GADiggerDan

I've been using an xt-50 for about 6 months. Sometimes it would be handy to dig only very dig deep targets. I used to use an old Tesoro, and got pretty good at only digging the deep signals (this comes in handy when in an extremely trashy area). The old Tesoro would sound a very soft, round, faint signal on a deep coin. I guess I'm listening for that and not hearing it. Old habits are hard to break. Are you guys hearing this sort of thing and maybe I just haven't been across any deep ones yet? I think the deepest coin I've dug with the xt is about 6 inches. I didn't notice that it sounded any different than a 3 inch coin.

Does anyone have any tips on how to tell deep from shallow, other than the depth indicator? I don't find it very useful.

Maybe I need something with threshold. 50 doesn't have.

Thanks

The X-terras have what is referred to as saturated audio through most of it's depth range. The reason being so that you won't overlook deep targets and to help in noisy locations, especially for those that don't use headphones.

Some things to try:

1. Look at the depth meter, each arrow represents about 2 inches.
2. Raise the coil a couple of inches, if the target stops responding it's deep.
3. Use Pinpoint to see how strongly it responds.

You can still be fooled by small targets near the surface but that's a fact of life with all detectors.

Your deepest coin....the age of the area, sink rate, filled vs non-filled vs plowed vs duff vs minerals etc all play a part in coin depth. In most places in the U.S. the X50 is capable of +10" coin depths.

HH
BarnacleBill

Thanks guys,
I guess I just haven't put the coil over any real deep coins or relics yet.
I use a Garrett pro-pointer, which helps to identify stuff on the surface.
I'll just keep practicing, and try to pay attention to the depth meter in the future.
I'll also try lifting the coil up a couple of inches to see if the target disappears.