Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question 18 On White's Interview: What is a Double " 0" Coil???

candycane

Double "O" And Double D Coil,How Are They Different In Operation...

From what I understand, the double O coils are the SEF, butterfly, Minelab Pro and the like. They have windings that electrically and/or physically overlap each other resulting in a sharper knife edge pattern offering better separation, less ground noise and slightly better depth than the traditional DD coils whose windings are side by side.

My link was removed i see, i understand why now.

I had linked to a manufacturer that have what i call double O coils...

Now i dont know how to post them.....

A double-O coil is like a DD coil, but made with circular coils instead of D-shaped. The Nexus detector is the only one I know of that uses OO coils. The SEF coils are close to OO, more like 00. :)

- Carl

I talked to the folks that sell the Excelerator SEF coils and they say that they have never heard the term OO when refering to the SEF. The SEF is a double elipical coil. HH Dennis in Idaho

candycane said:
Double "O" And Double D Coil,How Are They Different In Operation...
[size=large]The Double-D coil, initially developed by Don Dykstra but having nothing to do with his initials, comes from the appearance of the overlapping Transmit and Receive windings inside. They first came out with this coil when Don was a co-founder of Compass, after leaving White's, and they formed it in a round 8" diameter housing. Looking at the two wire windings, one appears similar to the letter 'D' with the straight side slightly curved. The other coil is in reverse position and also appears to form a 'D' shape, but reversed. Thus the term, "Double-D".

The Double-O coil design is simply an approach that forms each of the windings, Transmit and Receive in a circular shape, like an 'O' and where the two are positioned so that one overlaps the others, it appears to be a Double-O layout.

The description simply relates to the shape of the two windings. They both overlap to form a 'wide-scan" electromagnetic field and otherwise function similar to each other. One of the merits of a wide-scan design is that they often can cut some of the ground mineral 'noise' and also get a little better depth.

Monte[/size]

"The Double-D coil, initially developed by Don Dykstra..."

The Double-D coil was patented in 1938.

[size=large]Carl, thanks for the corrections. I had heard, since 1971 when I spoke with folks at Compass when I visited the factory, that Don had that idea, and some others, but he and Henry Gorgas, one of the other three co-founders of Compass, just couldn't get their ideas accepts where they worked (the same place you are). So, it was incorporated in their early IB's when they started Compass up.

I guess I had heard that so often through the years that I just took at as fact w/o doing any history work.

It's kind of like the mid-70's Coin V Supreme being a George Payne 'invention' that gave us manual Ground Balance to cancel the effects of the ground. What I found interesting was an old military mine detector I once owned. It was a monster with the battery system mounted on your back and in the early '80s I would have a friend get hooked up to that thing and, as an attention getter, I'd have them walk in and through the room when I had a seminar class going. I did it to mainly emphasize how compact and light our detectors were in these modern times.

But one day I thought I'd breeze through the manual and found it interesting that this IB based detector had a tuning procedure that had you establish a proper tone, then adjust the controls as you lowered it to the ground and raised it up and then back down again. This was to balance to the ground! Sort of pre-dated George's "new" technology.

The Double-D coil design used in Tesoro's early Yukon series and other IB/TR models was one of the keys to why they were such great performers at the time against the competition. So, after 37+ years of hearing about how it came about I stand corrected .... 'Thanks!'

Now, who had the first DD coil? Interesting.

Hey, have you had a chance to get out with that coil I brought down there? Any impressions yet? Drop me a note when you get a chance.

Monte MonteVB@comcast.net[/size]

Hi Carl. FUI, I believe the Shindler 12a, or somesuch, featured the double OO design, a 7.5 pound monster detector used for finding explosive mines in the ground, but would also find coins insanely deep. Also there were a couple of other OO coils used somewhere I dont remember......How.