Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quest for Lightship Number One ... Part 3

Ron J

While exploring the remains of the hull, you can't help but think, the talent the Shipbuilders had, back when this vessel was built. The hours of painstaking labor, just cutting the beams and planks! Here is part of the stern area. It may be a lot longer, but can't see through the brackish waters.[attachment 103519 DSC05788.jpg] Here is another Bow shot, with Rick, looking over the workmanship.[attachment 103524 DSC05820.jpg] This pegged block of 12x12?'s are puzzling. I can only guess, perhaps they were for ballast, or the bottom base for one of the Lightmasts? The four tanks are a mystery also. They are iron, and riveted.[attachment 103528 DSC05801.jpg] Being totally neglected since 1936, has taken a toll, but considering her total age, her timbers are pretty solid! We finally loaded a few goodies, without being to "greedy". I would have picked many more, but two of us heavyweights, were in a 10 foot inflatable! Besides it didn't belong to me, and i had concerns of puncturing a hole in it! I picked some good examples of workmanship, while remembering, i was planning on loaning these items to the Coast Guard Museum for their future Lightship Display. If we were in a little larger boat, i would have done a lot more picking! But i am not worried about it, i can see another visit coming up soon! Thanks to Rick, he just doesn't know it yet! :D Before i show you the goodies in part 4, i want to tell about the "other" tale, i was told by Jack, the Groveland Harbormaster. When Rick and i returned to the ramp, Rick introduced me to Jack. I can see from the ramp,floats, and row of Rowboats, he is talented, a handyman, loves the Merrimac River, and is a real Character. I mean this in a good sense! I told him my story of what i was told how the LV 1 grounded where she was, and pointed downriver to the house, where i had run into the ol' timer telling me of the ice flow. Jack knew the man, i had spoken with. In fact, i think Jack knows just about everyone in Groveland! Jacks version as told to me was, During the storm in 1936, the ice was flowing heavily downriver, and the locals were concerned about the bridge. They were depositing large rocks, and sandbags on the deck, to hold the bridge from lifting from the ice. (Ice tend to grip the pilings,and lift them as the tide rises) At the same time, the LV 1, belonging to the Groveland Sea Scouts, had been tied to the bridge as her mooring. Word has it, they cut her lines, so she wouldn't pull the bridge downriver with the icepacks, and ended up where she lies. Who knows? Jack lives alongside the Groveland boatramp, besides being Harbormaster, he is the caretaker of the ramp. Jack has a large Elbow he raised from the LV 1 mounted on two timbers, which he claims were part of the ice protection from the current bridge. They probably fell off overtime, and he latched on to them for his display. I don't know how many years ago, Jack raised the Elbow, but he did specifically mention, it was before the decks caved in! Rj next.... the goodies...

n/t

most are below 100ft. Much easier exploring yours than the ones covered by water. Very interesting