Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quest for Lightship Number One Part 2

Ron J

In my prior story, of last Winter, i mentioned how i had done a little reconnaissance on the LV 1. I thought i had found river access, down at the end of an old street. But as along most riverfront today, ran into private property. However there had been an elderly gentleman, didn't catch his name, playing ball with his German Shepard. I needed to turn around at the dead end, and asked the Ol'timer ,if he knew of the whereabouts of LV 1, as i was waving the newspaper article under his nose. His reply was immediate, "That's Lightship No. 1. We used to dive off her when we were kids! " I asked her whereabouts ,and how did the vessel get up river, having to pass through the bridge? He replied, during a storm in 1936, the ice packs brake her loose, causing her to drift rapidly towards the bridge. The officials at the time were concerned the vessel might cause some serious damage to the bridge, so they were contemplating throwing dynamite sticks to blow her up. This idea was declined, when someone suggested to "open the span" , and see what happens! Turns out She sailed through with the ice packs, and current, right thru the opening ,as if someone captained! I was shocked to hear this..maybe a bit far fetched, but sounds logical. At this time, my curiosity was at its peak! I had to see this "myth" myself! As i mentioned earlier,through circumstances, my quest came through! During a visit to the dealership, a few couple of weeks ago, Rick told me of the next minus tide, and how low the water had been on the Merrimac. The tides are different way up river, than the normal tide charts we read for the coast. The river always has water, but fresh water flowing from the North, and with a few dams being miles up river, the water is released at any time, thus raising the river, regardless of tides. The Merrimac is supplied with fresh water, whereas the tides push saltwater from the Atlantic up river, under the fresh water. So you need to be experienced with the local area. Anyhow Rick volunteered his inflatable for the trip on August 30Th. I informed Rick, i need some souvenirs, at least something for myself, and maybe a rib or two, for the Coast Guard Heritage Museum in Barnstable Massachusetts. Rick understood. I let him know, i would be bringing a sawzall, and a couple of hacksaws! :D I don't want to destroy the heritage of the vessel, or harm it in any way. Its just that nobody seems to care about its heritage or what its history is. Its just a hulk to the locals. Saturday morning came soon enough.I had been prepared for 3 days! Met Rick at Dunkins, as arranged, and followed him to the ramp. We unloaded the inflatable, hopped in with my 5 gallon "toolbox" , and were ready. Rick gave the 6 horse a yank, and the Evinrude fired up, then stalled a couple of times. Come on baby, fire up! Another pull, push in the choke, and we were off! The Merrimac was extremely lower, than my July visit. This was gonna be good! :D As we approached, we could see much more of the LV ! , than we could on our first voyage, and no rain! Ya! :thumbup: [attachment 103439 DSC05785.jpg] We ran the inflatable on the shore, hopped out, carrying my "toolbox". We explored the hulk,being surprised how much was visable, and how much outside planking were still attached! So many pieces were laying around. Wouldn't need any tools for trinkets... On closer inspection of the inside of the hull, you could see just how huge the center beam was! [attachment 103440 DSC05793.jpg]There were 4 tanks?, not two as seen before. Debris was everywhere. Planks, ribs, with spikes sticking up, it was really a little dangerous,seeing how we were barefoot! Had to be careful not to get a spike stuck in your foot. Ya know, a stitch or two would be worth the trip, but a spike in the eye was out! We took our time, trying to absorb the history we were experiencing. Finally reaching the Bow, i was amazed at the workmanship. So many copper, bronze spikes, and the wooden trundles! I waded around the Bow,for photo's looking from bow to stern. Was very surprised to see some of the collapsed deck still there! [attachment 103442 DSC05825.jpg]While standing in the brackish water,it was time to grab a spike or two. [attachment 103443 DSC05812.jpg]I was able to pull one out with a Little strength and persuasion. Souvenir Number one! [attachment 103441 DSC05823.jpg] With the spike in the pocket, i proceeded to the stern. Stepping over the ribs, to the main center beam, i noticed a large round iron piece laying under the surface. Estimated about the size of a toilet. I pulled and lifted it to a lower water area. I didn't know what it was, but after studying my photo's, i think it mat have been some kind of deck plate,where one of the masts went through the top deck? Whatever it is, during a future visit,(i Hope), its coming home with me![attachment 103444 DSC05795.jpg] Rj Stay tuned....for more!

I have a couple of spikes from some of my shipwreck dives..... also a few portholes, props and two bells [those are a real rarity... almost the first thing to go.. :): ] I look at them and each one brings back a fond memory to me... even still.

Great story.. Many thanks

Calm seas

Mikie

n/t

What a great adventure you had. I sure would have liked to be along on that one!

Rick Gryder
Communications Chairman
USCG Lightship Sailors Association, Int.

Man that old wood would make some NICE flutes or just about anything else a man would care to make.

I know, I know. It is history and it belongs to all.

Keep up the story. It is exciting.

aj