Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quest for Lightship Number One Part 1

Ron J

Last Winter , sometime, I wrote about an article in a local newspaper, regarding an old Hull of a Vessel , lying on the bank of the Merrimac River in Grove land / Haverhill Massachusetts. It is believed to be Lightship Number One, the very first Lightship in the United States. Built in 1855, at Kittery Maine, for $48000! Her description on the Coast Guard Historians site, states she was built of white & live Oak, using copper and iron fasteners. She had various station assignments, starting off Nantucket, at New South Shoal,from 1856 - 1892. Then mostly stationed down South, South Carolina, North Carolina, and lastly off Savannah Georgia. Remember, this vessel had no power, other than two masts, which served a double purpose, one for lighting the sea to warn ships of her dangerous stations, and two, too hold Sails. The CG web,does mention She was refitted a couple of times, and in 1892, she was appropriated $70,000 to become steam propelled. So at least She didn't need to relay on a tow, or wind, to move occasionally. Her history shows, the vessel went adrift quite a few times, between hurricanes, or an anchor chain parted. She was retired at age 75, in 1930. To reiterate, from my first posting, She was donated to the Haverhill Sea scouts, and later taken over by the Groveland Sea scouts. As of yesterday, I have heard two different stories from reliable sources, of how LV 1 ended up where She has layed since 1936! Since i read the article, I have wanted to locate, and see the LV 1 in person. Through various circumstances, I have had the pleasure of seeing the Hulk on July 4th, 2008, at about a half tide. I feel extremely fortunate to have made a second visit, at a dead low tide, on August 30Th, and was able to actually walk around, and to acquire a couple of souvenirs! I'm gonna back up to May, for a moment. It turns out, back in the Spring, my Service dept, at the Nissan dealership, was in need of a replacement lift, and a new Alignment Machine. I made a call to Lappen Auto Supply, to inquire about $$$. This was going to be expensive. The sales rep, Rick , came for a visit, and to evaluate our current equipment. During his visit, we started getting off track, cause i had some Nautical related screen saver,he had eyeballed. He asked if knew about the LV 1, and from that moment, we were discussing boating, shipwrecks etc. Turns out Rick ,lives in Groveland, and has a 20' Grady White. This was "music to my ears" i got to tell ya! Well before Rick left, we had a date of July 4Th to visit the LV 1! Worked out great, seeing it was a holiday, and low tide together. The 4Th finally came, after weeks of rain, as you all know! The plan was to meet Rick, at 7:00 a.m. Sat morning. When i got up at my usual 5:30, it was raining of course! I didn't care, i had the camera's ready! What i had to worry about, was to find out if Rick ,was a real "boater" or not! :D A little rain, or even a squall, shouldn't bother you, if you are a "real boater" ! After all, we were only on the Merrimac River.:D (Seriously, that river has an extremely strong current, and a boater could be in danger) Rick will be laughing when he gets to read this! Anyway, i anxiously drove to Groveland, twenty minutes or so away. I was there by 6:15, but waited to 6:45 to call Rick. This call would be the test! :D Still raining, Rick answered the cell, and i asked the magic question, "Still Going?" He replied "Yup! Where are you?" We met at the local Dunkins, had a cup,and a muffin, and were off! Finally, i would get to see LV 1, in person, rain or no rain! Rick backed the Grady down the ramp, proving he knew how to launch! :D That's a good sign, right away, of an experienced boater! After the trailer and truck were parked out of the way, we hopped on, started the Grady, and shoved off. All this, between sprinkles, and pouring rain. Who cares if you get a little wet during an adventure anyway?[attachment 103220 DSC04880.jpg] We headed down river, taking a ride past her first. I was enjoying the ride, while Rick was pointing out different rocks, bars, 5 mph zones, and where to follow the Channel Markers. You don't see to much, other than trees, and a few docks. The rain made it a late boating season for a lot of people. We rode up to West Newbury / Amesbury line, and turned around. It was maybe another hour if we were headed out to Newburyport Harbor. That wasn't our goal. The rain still couldn't make up its mine, whether to drizzle, or pour cats&dogs! Believe me, it poured, more than drizzle. Ricks Grady, has a canvas top, and a good size windshield, so it protected us to a certain extent. We finally came back to the LV 1. If you did not know it was there, you could miss it easily, with two trees growing out of it, and lots of brush! [attachment 103221 DSC04882.jpg] Rick pulled the Grady in as close as he felt was safe, with the rain, the current, and not knowing what was under you! The water has poor visibility,being brackish! (Saltwater,under the Freshwater).[attachment 103222 DSC04884.jpg][attachment 103223 DSC04887.jpg][attachment 103224 DSC04886.jpg][attachment 103225 DSC04904.jpg] The pictures may be a bit blurry. Being this close, I had wanted just a little piece of Her, but we dared not get any closer. That would be another visit... But i was thrilled just to see Her myself... Rj more to come...

What souvenirs did you get Ron??? Is that a porthole in the one shot? It is a beautiful, albeit sad, story. i hate to see ships end up like that.

Calm seas

Mikie

I had read about it being given to the boy scouts and that it had broken loose and drifted down river. So thats her final resting place. Don't seem fitting for the years of duty she preformed. Great pictures. I can see how hard is was coming down in that second picture.
In that third picture on the right, is that the stuffing box and perhaps the shaft? I'm looking at that V shaped piece in the bow thinking how good that would look on the wall in a frame with the story. Any brass fittings left on her, scuppers? I wonder if someone good with photoshop could find and original picture of her and overlay it next to this one of it in the water to see what if what of looked like complete?

Good job. Look forward to your next adventure there.

George-CT

It is great to know the history of the wreck. I have seen quite a few on the bottom of lakes and wondered what their story was. There are two small boats sunk in unlikely spots on the Cut River that we kayaked last week and I always wonder how they got there. They are just small boats, nothing like this one but would love to know their story.

I would have loved to have been with you guys but this is second best:thumbup:

n/t

n/t