Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quest for Lightship Number One Finally......the artifacts

Ron J

[attachment 103547 DSC05857.jpg]Here are the trinkets i recovered from the site of the LV 1. I know many people have to dive to reach artifacts like this, so i feel extremely fortunate. It would be a dream to dive on such a vessel. Here it is, banked in clear sight, tide permitting anyway, in 2008! I can't believe it hasn't been picked away, so what better way to keep it alive, than to have a few pieces displayed. Here is part of the outer planking. It was one longer piece with rough jagged edges, so i felt cutting the piece in two, showing the type of spiking and nails used to hold the outer planks on. See the rough surface, with lumps? It is not rotten wood. Jack felt the icepacks caused this from the constant rubbing from currents and the ice. Each hump, has or had small Copper nails in them. Perhaps there were copper sheathing on the lower hull, like the U.S.S. Constitution has? You can see the wooden spike, and the brass? spikes. Check the square block, covering a spike. Notice the cut edges, solid oak.[attachment 103541 DSC05843.jpg][attachment 103544 DSC05848.jpg][attachment 103546 DSC05849.jpg] The Spikes! Wood, iron (middle), bronze Copper? Brass....Yes i buffed it! Ribs anyone?? :D I picked this off the Stern! It was Just lying there...About 4 ft long with a wooden spike and a large copper spike! And finally, here is Jacks, Knee display, with anchor chain! Rj

n/t

Ron, this series should go on and on. I loved it and a BIG THANK YOU from the USSG Lightship Sailors Association International!

Rick Gryder

Now you got me thinking about a bunch of wrecks down this way on the Thames River... Used to play in them as kids. Many were big barges and we would chase blueshell crabs in them.... I know they burned a bunch of them on a rock island one year, but still plenty up river. Thanks for taking us aboard. Geo-CT

I'll bet there's much more on that site. It's too bad no one has an interest in it.

A great read and smashing photos! Thanks so much for the tour.

aj

n/t