Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

quattro question

Rockfshr

I'm looking for a new detector and am very interested in the Quattro, But
wondering why Minelab chose not to include the iron mask feature, The guy I hunt with has exp11 and that feature has come in handy in some relic areas we hunt. Is there other options on the Quattro that accomplish the same thing?
Thanks

Rockfshr, I'm ashamed that I'm a little overextended time wise to look up the owners manual on the Explorer to read about the iron mask feature, but I own a Quatro. It's one great machine, goes very deep, probably as deep or almost as the Explorer, it has one numeric readout versus two on the Explorer, but don't let that scare you too much, because if you look into it, it's pretty intuitive as far as reading both ferrous and conductive and coming up with a very accurate numeric as well as audio reading on that. It also has the "notch discrimintation", which allows you to "knotch out" specific numeriec readings, which corrispond to the type of target or metal that your detecting, so you can literally discriminate against a particular type of metal or pop top, or whatever, very specifically. You can get on the Mlinelab website and download the owners manual for any of their machines and read about whatever you want to, as well as the iron mask. I. Hope you get an answer on your questions. I love the Quatro. It has amazing depth, discrimination of all types of metals, and also is second to none on avoiding problems related with mineralized ground. I never have, or e x t r e m l e y, seldom have any problems with salt water or black sand at the beach. The only thing that plagues me at all is gettin wet, salty sand between the coil and coil cover and all you have to do there is take the cover off or clean out the crud now and then and your good to go. Hope that helps you. Marc.

Actually you can make your own iron masking just by rejecting all or some of the negative numbers that represent ferrous targets and save it as a custom screen. You just don't have the nice big screen like the Explorer. Happy hunting.

John Tomlinson,CET:minelab::coiltec::usaflag::csflag:

I agree with Wirechief. You can discriminate against iron if you wish. But bear in mind, that some relics come in under the iron readings, so if you're going for relics, I would advise against it, and use no discrimination. My hubby has the Explorer 2, and he uses NO discrimination on the goldfields, unless the ground is really bad with iron rubbish, and he happens to not be in the mood for a barrage of sounds.:)

I agree with Golden. Just make your own setting, but watch that your not cancelling out to much.