Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Purchased the M6

ccfl

I bought the M6 a couple of days ago and have been able to take it out for a test run. I found a dime at 7-8" that kept displaying penny/dime. I dug up a penny and still got a dime signal and just an inch or two away was the dime. I'm new to this, but that does seem impressive to a new guy. I also send my coupon to White's for the 12" spider coil....not sure if that was the best one for me to get, but at $49.95, I figured I couldn't really go wrong with any of the choices. Thanks for the great website....it really helped reading all of the posts and getting a chance to learn more before the purchase.

ccfl

You made a very good decision in purchasing the M6. If you intend to detect parks, playgrounds, tot lots, etc. where there is more than likely a fair amount of trash you might consider a smaller coil as well. The smaller coil will be a great help in separating the trash targets from the good ones. One other thing I feel I must comment on. Don't always depend on what the icons are telling you, target depth, proximity to bad targets, etc. can cause the response to be inaccurate. Now just go out there and enjoy yourself!
Pap

I am new to the M6 myself but not new to hunting. It is a very nice machine to use, you made a great choice. I prefer hunting in tone mode and find that it is more consitant than any other id method on the machine. I listen for those high pings for coins and a repeatable tone with a very steady VDI number for anything else, like jewellery. I dug a very nice littel qhite gold ear ring just yesterday, it read a steady +8.

The 5.3" Eclipse coil is great in trash you may want to get one down the road,:thumbup: it is a lot better than the stock 950 coil and the 12" spider coil in trashy areas. As for the 12" spider coil will not be all that good in a trashy environment but will do well in wide open non trashy areas for depth and ground coverage.

The M6 is a great coin machine for the money.:clapping:

Good Luck,HH:detecting:
Bill G

I also used the tone mode for the penny/dime find as well as looking at the VDI. As a matter of fact, I used the center trigger position to first locate it and then went to tone mode. I was trying to use everything in the "arsenal" to try out the machine. I even increased sensitivity past the "suggested setting" to better hear it and that helped a lot. I watched the DVD and read the manual and read posts on here, and elsewhere....those things helped out more than anything!!! I found a few other coins, but that penny/dime really made me feel like I made a good choice. You say that you are new to the M6, but not hunting.....what machines did you use before and why did you get the M6? I hope you don't mind me asking.

ccfl

it cool to see im not the only one finding dimes 8" deep i love the m6 im getting to know it better i never got the 12" coil i got the 4x9 eclips and traded it for a pinpointer but i got a 5.3 coil that works great in the hy target spots and still gets the dime at 8" provided dime has a halo and the ground is whet

fisher 1260
fisher 1235
fisher cz5
whites PIV (Mrs. Still uses this)
Garrett treasure ace 250
Tesoro Vaquero
White's XLT
Tesoro Deleon
Whites M6

Not at all. I have just been going through all of the machines that I have wanted to try out, mostly due to user devotion and a few choice opinions that I respect. All of these machines have been solid performers.

The M6 gives me some control over GB, VDI, Tones and depth to coin sized target. Also the VCO pinpoint is something that I really like, I prefer it to auto retune. A good choice in coils and a proven petigree via the MXT. The bets are still out as to whether I will keep it but it looks good for now. I did really like the Vaquero and may buy one for next year and finally carry two machines.

Use the M6 with small coils and utilize tone ID with "0" Disc and you'll make many unexpected finds at over hunted sites due to the excellent target separation qualities. Some detectors are designed for target ID at depth and the M6 isn't one of them in my opinion and will alert you to a deeper target but not ID it as well.

In my humble opinion it is best to use the M6 at inland trashy sites where masked targets may linger with smaller coils and learn the nuance of tone differentials. I'm very happy with the M6 but have no salt beach experience yet . HH Bill

Hi saika,

After reading this response to ccfl your detector choices almost mimic what i did the last few years as i tried as many detectors i could afford and kept the ones i liked and sold the ones that didn't click as well.

My initial decision to keep the M6 was due to using the 6"x 10" coil at a site and pulling IH's and wheaties at 5+" , hitting a Barber Dime and bus token at 2" and jewelry pieces all mixed in with trash, hotrocks and iron. Once i began using smaller coils and really focusing on tonal variance the M6 unmasked some nice targets at very trashy older parks and schools.It ain't perfect but fills a nice niche for me. Good luck with yours. HH Bill

You are seeing a list that took 20 plus years to go through. That is what has me so interested in the M6, it is the way it talks. I don't really even look at the VDI, just the depth reading. I would be quite happy without the VDI and ID images and just tone and depth.

As for minelabs, I don't know. I don't argue that they are good, but....I have never been drawn to try one. I may yet....if I did it would be the explorer to be sure.

From what I remember form Norman's Golden Olde web site, the M6 is probably going to prove a dynamite deep iron tone hunter.

I just got back from a 90 minute hunt in the heat. The M6 is a coin shooters dream. I hunt in the tone mode with my sens at about 20-25 only and my disc below the first preset. The parks people have come over a few times to check out my technique and were quite pleased with my shallow target policy and probing only in this weather.

In order to get out of the sun today I went and hunted under two large trees that have never yielded anything more than foil, tabs and bottle caps with the odd zincer thrown in just to tease me. In my air tests with the 10x6 coil I was very worried as it didn't seem to like hitting on coin-on-edge coins at all. Not so in the dirt! I hauled 2 nickles and 8 quarters out. Most of the coins were on edge!

I find that if there is any hint of that high tone that will show up for the majority of the swings you will be well rewarded.

I reaffirm my statement from the other day, that you made a good choice.

Sounds like you are enjoying the M6. I certainly appreciate all of your info and look forward to hearing more. I took mine to a very small swimming/fishing area at a freshwater lake. It was absolutely full of pulltabs and poptops. I still managed to get a quarter, a dime and a penny in all of the trash by increasing the disc control before a family showed up. I left to give them privacy.

ccfl