Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Prospecting Mode, X-Terra 705

botlmole

Well, got back Saturday from out local gold fields, this trip out I found No Nuggets. I did, However find about every kind of metal used in mining and plenty enough pieces of small bullets, and a sardine can at about 2 feet. I had a blast hunting, really like the unit, I am still amazed at how sensitive it is. I have taken what I have read and learned on my 1st outing when I did find a gold nugget and put it all to use again. I only dug a few Hot Rocks, I can tell now for the most part what they are, but, I dig them anyways in hope of finding some gold running through a rock, that would be kool. I took several 5 gallon buckets home of sampling dirt, I am finding specks of gold, this gives me more motivation to get out and hunt, but, its a long drive and gas is not cheap here on the West Coast.

I went out yesterday to a little park and hunted for several hours, dug some change, lots of flip tops, You will dig lots of flip tops to get gold rings, I dig pretty much everything usually. I tried using different Sensitivity settings and slower sweep speeds, I trust the 705 on the beach and in Prospecting Mode, but, am having trouble trusting it coin hunting. All the bouncing TID numbers and Tones drive me nuts, I did manage to find a Wheat Penny and a Silver War Nickle, that was kool. I have found a gold nugget, silver 1/2 the times I have gone out and now I want to find a silver or gold ring so I can tell what they will be like. I had some flip tops running up in the TID numbers that normally would be a Zinc Penny? This was a first. I may go back and wipe my settings and start over. Also with what I have been doing, its now time to reread the book again, I find reading and some field work paying off.

What is everybody running in the Discrimination Modes? What number for coin hunting, I have been using #1 setting, I am thinking maybe running a different pattern, any ideas, Thanks Rick

The advice I give folks for the Coin/Treasture mode is to use the least amount of discrimination that their ears can tolerate, and hunt by ear. If you set your X-TERRA up for multiple tone mode using zero discrimination, each of the 28 notches will produce one of 28 different tones. The higher the conductivity of the target, the higher the pitch of the audio tone. Learn to recognize which tones represent which notch segments, thus recognizing the difference in sounds between (for example) a nail, a nickel, a penny and a quarter. Before you know it, you'll be able to tell the difference between most coins and trash, just by the sound of the tone. As to the Patterns....... remember that all the Patterns can be changed to accept or reject any target notch you desire. So when you say you have been using #1, I assume you mean you are running in Pattern One with the factory preset accept/reject notches. If you want to change any of those notches from reject to accept (or vice-versa) all you have to do is scroll through the TID numbers using the + and - pads. Then, when the number you want to change one of the notch segments that appears on the screen, press the Accept/Reject pad and it will set that one notch segment just the opposite of what it was. Personally, I set my Pattern 4 up as my zero discrimination Pattern. Again, I hunt by ear and appreciate any audio information that the detector provides. By designating Pattern 4 for the type of hunting I prefer, I know that the next time I turn on the 705, it will start up just as I left it after the last hunt. Bottom line is that, since Patterns can be changed to suit your needs so easily, asking what Pattern someone else uses may not have the same amount of acceptance or rejection that you want, or need. So grab all the jewelry you can find laying around the house, and sweep each of them under the coil. That will give you a good idea of what TID that various pieces of jewelry might show up at during your hunts. You might also grab some of those pull tabs you've been digging and make note of where they read on the TID. Also, take a look at the coin chart I posted in the FAQFAQ. That chart should provide you with enough basic information to know what typical US coins will register on the TID. But remember, air testing is not the same as sweeping over targets buried in the ground. Coins on edge, adjacent targets and improper settings can (and will) alter the audio pitch and TID numbers when hunting in the "real world". But for the most part, if you dig the signals that you've proven to yourself to be viable targets, you're going to end up making some great finds. JMHO HH Randy

wouldnt it be the same using all metal mode?

Digger said:
The advice I give folks for the Coin/Treasture mode is to use the least amount of discrimination that their ears can tolerate, and hunt by ear. If you set your X-TERRA up for multiple tone mode using zero discrimination, each of the 28 notches will produce one of 28 different tones. The higher the conductivity of the target, the higher the pitch of the audio tone. Learn to recognize which tones represent which notch segments, thus recognizing the difference in sounds between (for example) a nail, a nickel, a penny and a quarter. Before you know it, you'll be able to tell the difference between most coins and trash, just by the sound of the tone. As to the Patterns....... remember that all the Patterns can be changed to accept or reject any target notch you desire. So when you say you have been using #1, I assume you mean you are running in Pattern One with the factory preset accept/reject notches. If you want to change any of those notches from reject to accept (or vice-versa) all you have to do is scroll through the TID numbers using the + and - pads. Then, when the number you want to change one of the notch segments that appears on the screen, press the Accept/Reject pad and it will set that one notch segment just the opposite of what it was. Personally, I set my Pattern 4 up as my zero discrimination Pattern. Again, I hunt by ear and appreciate any audio information that the detector provides. By designating Pattern 4 for the type of hunting I prefer, I know that the next time I turn on the 705, it will start up just as I left it after the last hunt. Bottom line is that, since Patterns can be changed to suit your needs so easily, asking what Pattern someone else uses may not have the same amount of acceptance or rejection that you want, or need. So grab all the jewelry you can find laying around the house, and sweep each of them under the coil. That will give you a good idea of what TID that various pieces of jewelry might show up at during your hunts. You might also grab some of those pull tabs you've been digging and make note of where they read on the TID. Also, take a look at the coin chart I posted in the FAQFAQ. That chart should provide you with enough basic information to know what typical US coins will register on the TID. But remember, air testing is not the same as sweeping over targets buried in the ground. Coins on edge, adjacent targets and improper settings can (and will) alter the audio pitch and TID numbers when hunting in the "real world". But for the most part, if you dig the signals that you've proven to yourself to be viable targets, you're going to end up making some great finds. JMHO HH Randy

I don't believe All Metal is the same as zero discrimination in a Pattern of C/T. Without going into pages of detail here, check out pages 76, 77, 78 and 87 of my eBook, "Understanding your X-TERRA". You can view or download a free copy at Minelab's website. Just follow the link at the top of these posts. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. HH Randy

Downloaded your book yesterday after getting my 705 in the mail. Ran out to a dry creek bed known for gold and played around for a bit. But prior to that I walked through a few testing scenarios to get myself familiar with 705. I have detector experience, but as with them all, each one is unique. I will say this is the most expensive detector for me to date. I have a lot more testing to do, to dial it in and get familiar with this BEAUTIFUL treasure wand! I found myself a bit frustrated at one point when I kept pulling up old iron nails and other miscellaneous metals. I was in prospecting mode and will say there's NOTHING that this system will miss. I was finding needle size wire only an inch long 6" deep. I detected a good rock and threw it in my bag for a quick check at home. I have a VERY, VERY sensitive hand-held gold detector at home (next time it's in the bag with me...I was just so excited about my 705, it was left behind) and when I scanned it, the thing was screaming. Keep in mind, this hand-held detects gold so fine, you have to place the rock under a microscope to view the gold...which I do have a high powered 2000x microscope and sure enough, it has gold...not a vein or anything like that, but very fine gold! So, I have to say, this X-Terra 705 is insane!

I will test it again in the field today and keep all posted on my progress. It's wonderful to see the details you provide in the forums Digger, I thank you in advance for all my future finds!!

I just saw this statement from another forum on the 705. Thought it worthy of a post here. For me this makes good sense...is there another way to determine iron/junk in prospecting mode?

"When you discover a target in Prospecting Mode, you can easily switch back to Coin-Relic Mode to see what it might be on the TID before you dig it up. Whilst the TID isn't flawless, you can usually determine junk and iron targets at a glance before digging. Get the Dual Set with the Elliptical high-frequency Double-D coil if it's available where you are. You can also leave that coil on if you work parks and beaches."

You're welcome. And keep us posted on those gold finds! Always interesting to see the things recovered that aren't "available" in my neck of the woods. HH Randy