Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Programing the Explorer - My take on settings.

Robin (MI)

Let me start with another machine. My first machine was a top of the line... (will not mention the name). My guess is that a lot of you guys who are so concerned about settings and programing owned one of these too. I use to go to forums for that machine and 95% of the topics were how to tune up your machine for maximum depth. The machine had so many different settings and options that you could infinitely make changes to tweak it. I became obsessed with more depth (which the machine needed) and "programing". I would run it so hot that it would chatter all the time. Right or wrong I set the settings and tried different tricks for better depth. Yep, I was missing something - confidence in my machine.

I never really saw a difference to speak of with all of the tweaks. I was new to detecting so I am sure that played a big part.

The Explorer is a machine that has very little you can do to program the machine. Basically the settings are ones that you find a good spot, then leave them there. Sort of like volume. Sure sensitivity needs to be changed with conditions. It is a turn on and go machine. I realized this on my first hunt with it in 2000. Factory presets with the sens turned up to 27 - found a measured eleven inch deep wheat back cent!!! Do we need more depth? No. Do we need to change a bunch of settings to optimize performance? No.

Once you set the basic stuff so the machine sounds and acts the way you like, there is only fast and deep and sensitivity to worry about. The machine is great - go swing the thing and find something. Quit trying to program the explorer; it is not your old machine!

Well, got that off my chest. what do you guys think?
HH - Robin

>>> what do you guys think? <<<

I think you had a DFX. :lol:

And if you didn't, you described my experience with it. Oh, I found LOTS of good stuff with it. But ultimately, I was consumed with perpetually finger-banging the thing in an attempt to coax more depth, more deep silver, more lead, more, more, more. And it was getting to where I spent more time programming than I did hunting. And simpler machines like the Fisher CZ's were pulling bullets all day long from 12" deep when for some reason I could barely PINPOINT them with my super-whamodyne DFX, even cranked to the max. So I moved to a CZ-70 and was very happy for a long time. But then I longed for a little bit of the newer Star Wars technology again and I feel that the Explorer is a nice blend of both high tech wizardry and simplicity. And while I am still doing a LITTLE finger-banging, I agree with you that there are only a couple of settings to worry about and most of my twiddling at this point is just while I continue to get comfortable with the new machine. And the CZ is still here too. :)

There were two lines at the Best Buy customer service counter, Returns and Order Pickup seperated by a rope. There were 12 people in the return line and only 1 person in the Order Pickup line. Since I was picking up a TV they were holding for me behind the counter I got in the shorter order pick up line.

Well the guy in front of me finished up and I stepped forward to the counter then out of left field here comes grandma nightmare arms flailing and yelling, "HEY HEY THE LINE STARTS WAY BACK THERE I'M NEXT" and she shoves her way in front of me. Man I thought she was gonig to take a poke at me.

I say, "excuse me miss" and she tries her best to ignore me. I say, "excuse me miss but are you returning something or are you picking up an order because this is the order pickup line"

OMG the poor lady was mortified with embarrassment. She turned around and said, "oh, I'm sorry I thought they were doing returns in this line" I said no it says right up there on the sign order pick up. Well she got a case of the mumbles and cowered back to her own line! lmao

when they talk among themselves it can be much more complicated. I usually check out what they say. Several of them are pretty sharp.

You handled it just right except you could have gave here a big :cheekkiss: and told her to :biteme:. :rofl: You did great :rofl: . I needed a good story. I am glad to see you back posting. Now if a few more of the old guys would just start posting again like Old CC and old Floppy. I really liked his posts. Found a nice little 1903 O barber Quarter today with the SE. Jerry aka Tinfoil.