Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Private property permission question

daxdog

Have any of you ever obtained permission from a railroad to hunt on their property? There are several places along a railroad line in my little town which are significant. One place is where the original train station was for the town back in the early/mid-1800's. The other is a spot where a civil war battle occurred. This battlefield is not a federal or state park. The taking of the rail line was a significant goal. Rumor has it that after the battle the entire ground was covered with bullets. There's another spot not too far away where a Union fort stood. The railroad runs right by it. I'm sure that metal detecting on the grounds of the former fort which is now a municipal park is frowned upon, but what about the property owned by the railroad which is right there?

I tried that once, but could find no one who would have the authority to give that kind of permission. I was told that any permissions would need to be reviewed by their legal staff, and that would be delayed forever. I did find one railroad person who said that their only concern would be that you might do something to damage railroad property, or become injured on railroad property. Another railroad person I spoke to said "don't ask, don't tell".

Don't forget the 3 most powerful entities are 1. The Army Corps of Engineers, 2. The Railroads, and 3. God. In that order. :)

I just hunted a modernday train station a few hours ago, I didn't ask. Supprisingly, I didn't find anything either.:rofl:

I would hunt it till someone told me to split. Look for date nails in old railroad ties. Some are worth some bucks.

Bill

[quote Uncle Willy]I would hunt it till someone told me to split. Look for date nails in old railroad ties. Some are worth some bucks.

Bill[/quote]That's what I'm talking about:thumbup:

I have found it easier to ask for forgivness than permission. Here in Florida, FEC (Florida East Coast RR) will generally give you a verbal warning for tresspass. As long as you are not ON the tracks, and on the extreme right-of way, you should be OK. It also depends on what kind of day the rail inspector is having , too. Depots are another story. They are usually on the right-of-way and hardly get a second glance from the inspectors..HH