Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Private property leads

BigErn

I'm heading back to SW Pennsylvania in October for some R&R, leaf peeping and of course some detecting with the Vaquero! I cant wait to get it into some mild soil and juicy lawns! Holler at me if you are from this area and want to hook up!
I only have a week so I have been thinking about skipping the parks and going for nearby old single family homesteads. I was searching on Realtor.com and not only can you see the property but you can search for properties 51 years and older. By the pics you can tell if it vacant or not. Realtor.com does not give out the address, it has a map but if you want to get the owners info copy and paste the MLS # into any popular search engine and then match it up on that areas particular assessor website. Once you get the owners name search for it on whitepages.com and give them a friendly call to tell them what you do...or if your aggressive just contact the agent for the info(Good Luck). Im hitting an 19th century school that just got sold this way...anyway just another tool for your research
to sum it up:
1. Search on Realtor.com
2. copy MLS# into search engine
3. get address and find owner info
4. whitepages.com or phonebook contact the owner.
5. find goods
6. post on findmall :beers:

not a bad idea, but imagine you're selling a house and some one is asking to dig around it .....might be hard for some to swallow

digitaltim said:
not a bad idea, but imagine you're selling a house and some one is asking to dig around it .....might be hard for some to swallow
This is what I was thinking. But it is worth a shot - although, I'd request meeting any owner face-to-face to ask permissions. They may appreciate that and give it over the phone.
But, most will balk. In that case, there is nothing like looking someone in the eye while you are standing with hat in hand, asking.
In fact, it saved the day, today, at our dig.

Absolutley! Nothing will compare to a face to face meeting but these homeowners are most likely not living in the home so a phone call(or a letter) with a prepared script may be your best option. To combat the awkwardness of looking like a weirdo digging in the yard during a showing, name your time...be done by 9am or start at 5pm. During the week those are my only time slots anyway.

BigErn said:
Absolutley! Nothing will compare to a face to face meeting but these homeowners are most likely not living in the home so a phone call(or a letter) with a prepared script may be your best option. To combat the awkwardness of looking like a weirdo digging in the yard during a showing, name your time...be done by 9am or start at 5pm. During the week those are my only time slots anyway.
I m a licensed Realtor and have some definite thoughts on this, but all I will say is I like your enthusiasm. Let us know how it turns out.

I recently talked to a homeowner that had a for sale sign up. I told the person that I would take care and not damage the sod.
But I think what really got the ball rolling was the idea of a hidden cache on the old farm and if found, I would split it with them.

To me that seemed like a compelling way to gain access since the homeowner
stands to gain from the relationship via the old house that they are selling.

I got enthusiastic permission.

Ism said:
I recently talked to a homeowner that had a for sale sign up. I told the person that I would take care and not damage the sod.
But I think what really got the ball rolling was the idea of a hidden cache on the old farm and if found, I would split it with them.

To me that seemed like a compelling way to gain access since the homeowner
stands to gain from the relationship via the old house that they are selling.

I got enthusiastic permission.
And what owner doesn't want to "take it with them?"