Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Priorities are Made for Changin'

Arkie John

About three or four weeks ago, I found myself, before daylight, preparing a makeshift blind at the convergence of two well-traveled deer trails. However, in an instant, my priorities changed from deer to turkey. I'm flexible, what the hay?

As the first of first light began to make its way above the horizon, all hell broke loose from the tops of the nearby 80-foot pines. Birds were yelping, cackling, yelping and cutting to beat Dixie! I just listened--and, still under the cover of darkness, beefed up my blind a little to withstand the scrutiny of 9-power, color vision. It was good that I did. I had inadvertently set up right in a pile of roosted turkeys and I was ready for a show! I got out my old home-made walnut box call and chalked up.

Soon enough, with the welcoming light, I watched,with great anticipation, fifteen birds, at least, glide down and light, just over the little hill, to within 50 yards of me. I had now been talking to them for ten minutes, and we were becoming acquainted :biggrin:, so they knew exactly where the "new kid on the block" was located by launch time. As soon as they hit the ground, I turned up the heat with constant yelping and cutting, mimicking them as best I could.

It wasn't long before I saw the boss hen stroll into view, with head and neck outstretched...walking, pausing, looking, walking, standing, scanning the woods for movement. Then I saw another and another as they came up from the back side of the hill. I thought, "Well, you've got yourself into a mess of hen turkeys right here the Friday before Thanksgiving, here's your chance to provide the best table fare for the event." My bow was at the ready but I was not, because what I saw next was a complete surprise.

In the low light of dawn I became aware of a grey-white dot back in the dark, then as the light receded, I could see what I thought was a fan! Sure enough, here came a huge gobbler in full strut! I had never seen such an event in the fall. My priorities were again changed--this time from the hen to the gobbler. He slowly worked his way counterclockwise to the boss hen, coming to within 25 yards of me. The trouble was that he was standing behind a few stick-ups, the density of which I was unsure, because of the lack of good light. I chose to wait him out.

Well, this went on for another 15 minutes before the hen tired of the game and headed back over the hill from where she had first left the roost. Of course, the gobbler followed as if in tow and my semi-decent shot evaporated in the moment. At their disappearance over the rise, I sat back, removed the headnet and let out a sigh, grinnin' like a jackass eatin' briars. This turkey is bad on the nerves donchaknow. :lol:

I didn't take any game that day, and we didn't have a wild turkey on the table for Thanksgiving for the first time in ten years, but I was the beneficiary of a very special encounter. All this took place within 500 yards of the Hilltop. I love Arkansas! There's no place like it. Thanks for comin' along. <><

aj

musta made the ole ticker skip a little faster!!! Thanks for the hunt Arkie! Merry Christmas and God Bless!

Dave

movie that kind of leaves you hanging?enjoyed your morning hunt but the fact that you didn't get a turkey was disappointing:).

"You'll leave more of 'em in the woods than you'll take home with you." He was right. But he also taught me that whoever puts in the time gets the bird. I put in more time in the woods that anyone I know. In due time, one of those ole' boys will stroll up to the Double Bull as if he owned the whole woods...and THAT'S when he goes home with me.

'06 was a no-trophy year for me as far as turkeys is concerned. Didn't score for the first time in about 14 years or so. But that's OK. The treasure is not necessarily in the taking.

Thanks for the post. Always a pleasure to hear from you, David. <><

aj

Just takin' a tally of hunts past, I'd have to say the greatest times I ever had did not result in a harvest. Many, many evenings on Friday and Saturday nights, Daddy and his cronies would get their dogs together and travel over about three or four miles and "run" their dogs.

Somebody would take the dogs to the other end of a big thicket and dump them out and get them on a trail. Then, he'd rejoin the others across the way, all saddled up to a roaring fire.

Around that fire many a yarn was spun, in the presence of a big-eared little boy or two. These guys were our heros, no doubt about it. I wish I could remember some of their stories of their old days.

The hunt is wonderful, the prep is great, the anticipation is beyond description--especially before opening day, but the best of it all (along with an occasional kill) is the relationships built.

It may change one day, I dunno, but I don't have a single mounted animal on my walls--as proud I am of some of them. BUT...I have dozens of photos of family and friends all over the place.

There's no limit on that...no tag...no scrutiny from the fish cops...just good times reflected. Tom and I have a "Brag Book" of the biggest and best fish and fur we have collected over the years.

The trophys are great, the eating is first class, but the relationships of a hunter with his family, friends and most of all, his Maker are the most important of all. <><

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

aj

n/t

we are so roundly fortunate to be part of a traditional and honorable way of life!
I just glanced up from the puter screen whilst thinking about our blessings and i see the Angel that Fred and Debbie sent us a few years back, the Angel holds a lantern to light the way and it reminds me how wonderful the kind thoughts and deeds of friends can be.
Wayne

...is what makes me go back time and again.

I stand on a 2' X 2' for 12 hours and go to a stinking mall and get provoked after bein' there 45 minutes.

Thanks for posting. <><

aj

I am going to use the turkey call me [although I still think it is too good for that :)] Our season just ended but it restarts in April. So I will be out for that.

Take care Arkie

Calm seas

M

Is much better entertainment than ANYTHING Hollywood could come up with....at least in my opinion.Oh well, let his beard grow a little longer and get him next spring. Thanks for taking me along!

n/t

n/t