Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pre 1650 gold ring.....

steve4520

Had a steady day here in the UK , digging up the odd 19th and 20th century coins then landed this little beauty. A fede ring or sometimes known as a friendship ring hence the hands . There's no hallmarking so is believed to be Pre 1650 and at the moment i'm writing this it's in the hands of the British museum in London so hopefully by Christmas i'll have a valuation and identification .POWER TO THE 250 !!!!:clapping::ukflag::usaflag:

Congratulations Steve!!!! What a beauty. How deep was it? Did it ring as a pulltab? What coil where you using? Man how exciting.

Cheers mate....its was at 6 inch depth showing one notch above pull tab using the 9x12 coil, i use the 9x12 on pasture to get the extra depth and the 6.5x9 on ploughed land has there seems to be a lot more targets under the coil at once.... it sure was a nitro moment :hot:

CONGRATULATIONS, just unbelievable. Hope you get it back from the museum.

Wow this was a great find , and it going into the London Museum for everyone to enjoy
be sure to have them list you as the person who found it
Another Great find
Bob

That is a nice gold ring likely a high concentration of gold by the color..
Hope you get a good evaluation and reward for this find..

Well you must finish this story when you find out. Was this type, style of ring made and worn back then? If so, it was surely owned by somebody of means. If you have more details please share. Size, weight, gold purity.

I also always wondered if you UK detectorists actually followed the law and turned in treasure to the British Museum. If they keep it do you get a check (cheque?) Is there a chance they might return it to you?

Great historical find! With luck.

Chris

Hi Chris (cwilk) ... a majority of detectorists do record there finds , there's a law that if any object found appears to be made of gold or silver and to be over 300 years old then it must be declared to your local FLO..(finds liason officer ) then it is identified and evaluated and the money split between the finder and the landowner. A minority of dectectorists will keep silent and sell them on E_Bay but laws are now in place to stop this. By the way , this law does not apply to coins ...unless they are found as a hoard.... I.E 10 coins or more.... If the item is not seen as national importance, and no local museums wish to purchase the item , then the item is returned to the finder and landowner to do what they will..

Well done Steve, I'm also from the UK, I really hope you do get a valuation by christmas but I highly doubt it.

Nice find. I got 2 pockets. Out in the field, the left is for the show stuff. The right for the "no show". That would go in the right IMHO.

Beautiful find bud. Looks real to me. Could be 24 KT. I've seen a few 24 KT rings and the metal is soft. Did you notice that about this one?

Bill

awhitster said:
Nice find. I got 2 pockets. Out in the field, the left is for the show stuff. The right for the "no show". That would go in the right IMHO.
I agree with this for sure

Goes4ever said:
awhitster said:
I agree with this for sure
An old timer taught me that.

[size=x-large]wow[size=medium] that's a awesome find. i recon that would make your year [/size][/size]

:super: VERY VERY NICE FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats Steve ,i dont think you will be topping that one anytime soon:jump: Kevin :thumbup: