Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PPS .....question

greatwhite

Higher PPS means you can sweep faster....correct? Does it add depth?

Sorry if my PI question was too ignorant to warrant a response from anyone. I thought the idea of these forums was for the gifted among us(not me) to brainstorm ideas and experiences to improve the effectiveness and enjoyment of OUR hobby. Obviously, I'm new to metal detecting(i have one detector) in general and have yet to purchase my first PI machine. I have read every post I could to learn all that I could to purchase a quality machine and understand how PI detectors work. I don't understand why it seems so hard for a new guy to get a response. I've seen people ask alot of stupid questions they could of figured out if they had only read the instruction manual that came with the detector...and they still got a reply. If I'm doing something wrong please tell me what it is so I can correct it. When 46 people look at a PI question ..on a PI forum and no one has any idea......What's the deal?:sadwalk:

Hello White,

Some people like me have to work for a living and posting on forums is a secondary issue, so sometimes it takes a while before something is posted even though we may read the question. Some times we wait for others to jump in also. Besides, I didn't realize people were supposed to cater to you immediately. A little patience doesn't hurt.

To answer your question which, by the way, has been answered before is no, increasing the PPS does not assure you can sweep faster nor does it assure additional depth.

There are a lot of factors involved that influence how fast you can sweep and the pulse rate is just one. Generally, the internal filtering to reduce the noise common in a PI has more to do with the rate at which it can be swept.

Increasing the pulse rate does provide additional samples which can help average out noise and, depending upon the sample hold design, could help increase the signals a little, but it could take a significant increase in pulse rate to see much of an increase in signal strength.

Usually, perfecting designs of stages and using lower noise parts allows for more depth capability. Increasing the power can help but even doing this has its limits.

Reg

Sorry for my impatience .It's not one of my strong suits....I appreciate you sharing your knowledge on the subject. ...I did not see the previous post about this subject or I would not of asked......jim

Hi Jim,

Sometimes it takes a few days before an answer is posted. People like me like to wait to see if Eric or Mr. Bill is going to jump in with an answer. Since we don't know how busy they are, we sort of wait and see. If it looks like the question may be there for a while, or we know Eric is busy, we may jump in sooner.

Now, your question about the PPS is something that people sort of try to equate with frequency on a VLF. Unfortunately, there is no real correlation. Also, just what happens, or how the sample is stored makes a difference. If you use a differential integrator type design, then some of the signal is lost between samples, so increasing the PPS can help some. However, if you use a different type of sample hold, then almost no signal is lost so the gain is more in other areas. This latter design does require more parts so it is generally used less often.

PI's appear to be reasonably simple until you really dive deep into the design and then they will surprise you. Actually, confuse, frustrate and discourage are a few other words that come to mind when trying to improve them.

Reg

I hate to pop your bubble, but I'm not aware of anyone just hanging around here waiting for questions to be posted. In time someone will get to them.

Reg. did answer your question. If your in a hurry, try doing a search on this page. You would have had a answer quite rapidly.

You asked PPS, but the gif of your question sounds like your asking about the Pulse Delay. Did you mean that instead ?

One can speed up the sweep by changing the SAT speed, but the trade off is a slight loss in depth.

Hi James,

I have only just seen your post and it is 4:20 on Sunday afternoon. I do not normally come into the office on a Sunday, but came in just to pick something up and thought I would check emails, forums etc. Had I not come in it would have been another 17 hours before I saw the post on Monday morning. I see your post was made at 11am US time on Friday. Depending where you are in the US there is a minimum of 5 hours and a maximum of 8 hours difference in our times, so I could well have gone home by the time it appeared. It certainly wasn't there when I finally switched off on Friday. I do not have an online connection at home as it is nice to have a break from the webworld.

43 people viewing a post in a short time is normal and out of that 43 there would be just 2 or 3 who could have done an answer, but as with me, you read something and leave it till a later, and more convenient time. Even straightforward questions can take a bit of thought and preparation in giving a clear and not overly technical explanation.

So for everyone, please be patient if you question is not answered straight away. If after a week it hasn't been answered, then just a gentle reminder should suffice.

Eric.

You guys are GREAT!

I really enjoy looking through the messages that have collected in the nook of the ole' mail tree when I pass by it on my way down the trail.

rmptr