Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Power On puts me back to factory settings....

Tim in WA

I've got to think that this is an old glitch that has happened many times before. Why is this happening and how can it be fixed? I was thinking that it was a low battery problem but it happened today with a fresh charge.

Thanks for your response.

Tim in WA

How long you holding the start up button down? I ask that since thats the button that will transfer you back to factory settings. Might try cleaning the battery connectors INSIDE the machine. If that doesnt help..... quick call to ML service and a tech is in order. It is funny the problems you can get from poor battery connections.

Dew

Thanks Dew. I think you're onto something with the battery connectors. I've had my Explorer in storage for about 7 years and this is a new problem. I'm using alkaline batteries since the Nimh batts are toast. What's happening is I press the power button and the detector doesn't power up. So I press it again and it goes back to factory settings. I'm not holding down the power button.

I'll try cleaning the connectors and if all else fails, contact Minelab. How do you recommend cleaning the connectors inside the handle?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,
I have one of the side buttons on my Explorer II that "sticks". Sometimes it will stay on for a second or so when pressed. Not much you can do about that other than send it in. You might try depressing it a bunch of times with no battery in, but you run the risk of it not working at all. Clean the battery terminals, and if that doesn't do it, you probably have a sticking button.

Tape a cloth to the end of a woden dowll or something that reaches down there. Put a little rubbing alcohol on the cloth. Carefully rub on the tips of the springs. Use a cloth that is not going to snag on the spring ends.

Hope this helps and HH - BF

Thanks for the tips. I appears that the contacts just needed to be cleaned. Seems to be running smoothly now. I purchased some Deoxit from Radio Shack and it appears to work well.

Happy Hunting....

Tim

hey thanks for the tip i have had a similar problem with my xs after being in storage for years as well....going to try cleaning the terminals and check for sticky buttons...hope it works
Thanks again