Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Possum-the other white meat

Dan-MO

When I was a boy my brother and I often wandered the woods. Before we were old enough to pack a gun we developed our own set of "skills" to bring home the meat without the need of a gun. When we were not in school or doing chores odds are, we were in the woods after some critter. My youngest brother was born when I was 13 years old......mom and dad's little surprise. He was completely different from Wayne and me. He never showed much interest in hunting or fishing -spending much of his time from a early age tearing apart and reassembling old radios, TVs, and later on Atari's and others video games and computers.Tim was always fascinated by electronics,PC boards, and computer games.

Some of the ways Wayne and I learned to take game were not too sporting,probably illegal, and sometimes dangerous-but we didn't give it a thought back then.

My mother and father both worked and my grandmother watched Tim. She was a dear sweet lady who would do just about anything we asked of her -and to this day the best cook I have ever known. She had known some hard times in her life and leaned to cook about anything that would keep body and soul together-and make it taste good.Anything we would bring out of the woods-we could talk her into cooking for us -groundhog, coon,rabbits, squirrels-you name it.

One day we twisted a large possum out of a hollow log-killed it, cleaned it, and presented it to Gran for cooking-we had never eaten possum before.Before long she had it all cooked up with potatoes,carrots and other veggies and we set down to a feast that only a couple of young boys could appreciate.Tim was about 3 or 4 years old and he dug in with us-eating that possum like it was prime beef......

The years passed quickly. Tim got his masters degree in electronics and computer programing and now is the head programer for one of the largest most prestige's law firms in the world. He travels the world as they have offices all over the US and in many other countrys including China.He makes lots of money and is a bit of a yuppie and a liberal to boot-but we love him anyway as he does us.

We get together several times a year-the three of us with my father and our wives.We have good natured political debates but when Tim starts to get to liberal -we remind him that he is the only employee of the prestiges law firm he works for that has ever eatten a possum!

Good story Dan. I never ate one but I skinned quite a few of them. Looks like Tim did very well for himself. I can relate to him with the electronics. I never followed up on it for a living until later in life and them only for retirement spending money.

Funny how as we age, we see folks from the same neighborhood go many different ways, and we wonder how we missed that opportunity or just never saw it as an option.

Thanks for post.

Geo-CT

n/t

it shows LOVE:thumbup:

Say if you have any more stories of you guys growing up, well i got the popcorn and am all ears:biggrin:

My brother and I did growing up........after I check the statute of limitations! There are a few storys that could never be told! I once talked him into climbing a tree to catch a squirrel when it came out of a hole.....I KNEW it would be coming out because I was building a fire in the only other hole in the bottom of the tree.......I never knew how mean a squirrel could be until that time......neither did Wayne! He does now! He still carries the scars!

carcass to us when ever he has some to spare. My mother would cook them up and they were good as far as we were conserned. Tastes a lot like cat actually.

Coon and Possum were on the menu when we could find them as were phesants, duck (When I could hit the dang things) woodcock and pats.

It was all meat to us back then and I would not hesitate to eat them now.

Dan, that is one of the best stories i have ever heard, it reminds me of my Grandpa & Grandma in Glasgow Ky. I have tears in my eyes.
Thank you.

but like you said...it's all in the preperation (and cook). I envy your brother his passion at such a young age. I still don't know whether I want to be a cowboy or fireman. :shrug: