Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

police

mickance

who actually hands rings into the police as lost property ....we are having a discussion here http://www.finders.com.au/finders-forum-info/finders-forum/ what do you reckon

I USED to hand valuable items in to the police station closest to where I found an item and I have advertised items in local news papers but I have never had anyone claim an item. Now I no longer bother to do this unless an item is of significant value (it costs money to advertise an item).I often go to the local police station where I am detecting to find out if there has been any items reported lost on the off chance that I may be able to find these items and return them to the owner. I think the main reason that nobody has claimed any of the items that I have found is simply because almost all had been lost for a long time and have been forgotten.
On the other hand I have found several items that I have been asked to search for and have been able to return these items to the owner.
Adrian SS

I would never turn them over to the cops. They have a habit of getting lost or languishing for years in the property room. The cops aren't in the business of searching for people who lose stuff and returning it. They don't operate a "lost and found."

Bill

Let me see if I can remember if I ever turned in any rings to the police before. Ahh yes! That would be never.:angel:

I've turned over a few bullets that I didn't want the kids finding. I just had a guy locate me about a found class ring. It was mailed back to him. found in In. ring from an Ill. High School. He was tripping that I had actually found and returned it.. He offered a reward I told him I wanted my expenses returned. He was a happy camper!!!!!!!! H.H. Gary

When I was in middle school (like 20yrs ago) I was walking down the street with my mom and I found a wad of cash (I remember seeing a bunch of $20's) with a gold looking "$" sign money clip in the gutter. I was happy as heck but my ma made me give it to her, we then walked to the police station and she turned it in.... The cop at the front desk took my ma's phone # and said if no one clam's it in 30 days it's hers (mine). Well do you think we ever saw that money again? NOOOOOO!!!!

I bet the same thing would happen with a gold ring.

In this day and age I would say no I would not turn anything in either. If I found it to be a possible stolen item (wallet, gun, etc..) then yes. Besides after so many days (60 days I think) there is a limit they can hold it. It is supposed to be turned back over to you (the finder) after the time limit is up.

I wonder if they take the goods that collect over the time limit and auction them off with the rest of their confiscated stuff?:surprised:

Don

Here in Australia the police in each state run a lost property register and in the Australian Capital Territory they operate a National lost property register, that is, any item handed in to the A.C.T. is recorded Nationaly . Items are held for 3 months and if unclaimed they are returned to the finder. If nobody claims an item after 3 months it will go to auction If an owner of a lost item finds it at a police auction they are able to reclaim it on proof of identity and ownership.
Adrian SS

I concur with Adrian.
Here in Oz, if you find something valuable, if you don't make a reasonable attempt to find the owner, then it is deemed "theft by finding" Handing it in to the police or advertising it in some form of lost and found is required. you can claim it back after 3 months, after which it becomes your legal property. I've done it once and it took me months to get the rings back from the police. In future, I'll make dead certain that it's really valuable before I waist my time going down that path, or just advertise it myself.
If you go onto Kellyco's website, you will see a ring found by Chris Durbridge that is worth $8 000. He handed it in and now owns the ring. One of the small irritating things of the hobby over here (although not all hand those sort of finds in) but we do have $1 and $2 coins that are very common finds.:devil:
Mick Evans.

I agree with Adrian and Mick, when you hand an item to the police here is Australia, you get a receipt for it...if the owner does not claim it, then the police contact you (about 3 months) to come and pick it up. I have been handing stuff in for years, and most of it has been returned to me. I dont hand stuff in that has been in the ground for 20 or 30 years, because the liklihood that the owner can be found or will claim it at the police station after that time is zero. Sapper.