Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

poison ivy

seeker77

I occasionally hunt in the woods, and recently ended up with a mild (but still annoying) case of poison ivy. I decided to try a product I had heard of called "tecnu," which, if used immediately after contact with poison ivy will prevent an outbreak. It worked.
Interestingly, the active ingredients are "deodorized mineral spirits," glycerin, and "soap," I'm thinking that the only truly active ingredient is the mineral spirits. Tecnu is a little expensive, so it might be cheaper to just buy mineral spirits from any paint distributor. Just a thought for those who get exposed to poison ivy. Well worth trying.

Poison ivy excretes a toxic oil. It looks like the product you bought breaks down the oil so it can be easily washed away. Mineral spirits should do the trick.

I heard that once you come in contract with poison ivy you should wash the area with soap and water to remove the toxic oil. Maybe that's the simple solution.

tabman

Good thing you just got a mild dose of that stuff..Some people wind up in the emergency room, they say poison ivy toxins are getting more powerful every year, so some people that used to be able to handle it may not some day...one things for sure, if a fellow ever gets a really bad hit from the ivy or poison oak, he will be looking for any remedy that makes it go away and takes away the itch.
Mud

Using soap and water "immediately after contact" works 100% of the time for folks that aren't highly allergic to the oil. Soap and water binds with and removes the oil- that's what soap does.

I get the ivy rash at about the average of what most Americans get, but so long as I wash well within a few hours of exposure, the rash doesn't develop at all. My dad, on the other hand, needs to wash it off within minutes of exposure or he will develop an extensive rash. Different folks have a different sensitivity to PI. Also note that there is more oil in the plant as summer wears on.

fwiw, my dad swears by some stuff called "Ivy Block" as a preventative barrier. All the local drug stores(CVS/Walgreens/local mom and pops) used to carry it around here, but don't any more. All those I asked said they don't know why the store doesn't carry it anymore but all 4 claimed that their customers reported that it worked well. I have seen it on ebay and Amazon. I'd use it if I tended to get a bad rash from ivy.

I am highly allergic to poison ivy. It put me in the hospital when I was a kid.

About 5 years ago I read that some people would wash off with rubbing alcohol within 1/2 hour of exposure. This works for me, I have never been happier.

I understand that there is no poison ivy in Europe.

I do have a solution, if we could get the politicians to pass a law. Simply make poison ivy illegal (just like marijuana).

My Dads the same as yours KinTN, and I'm about like you, I did get a really bad hit from what I think was poison oak a few years ago while I was building a fence around somebodys farm in Oct. I bought 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol, and 3 bottles of calamine lotion, poured them all in the tub, and wallowed around in that for a while. My son gets the PI like joecoin, we camped out one weekend on an island and he swelled up like a balloon from it. So maybe it skips a generation or something:shrug:.
Mud

I wonder if Bourbon or White Lightning will work?
Hahaha. Just rub some of that on and take a few swigs and THAT should do it...ya think?
Robert2300

I love the Bourbon idea! Interestingly enough I barely seem to get it. I guess some people can be highly allergic and some people can be highly immune. Perhaps I still should bring along some bourbon in case though.

Yes, a bottle of bourbon for medicinal purposes such as poison ivy, a rub here a swig there,.... keep it simple...I like it.

I get poison Ivy all summer long.. just can't help it lol.. You have 10 minutes to wash before it affects you. I bring baby wipes and wash each time I think I am exposed. Most of the time there is a plant that grows near it called jewelweed. You break the stem and add the juice to the effected area! It's the best I ever used. Look up the plant.. it's mother natures cure. You can make a slave with it and use it before hunting. It will prevent you from getting it. Look up jewelweed and be amazed!

Yes Dirtyhands, we have jewel weed all over my property growing in the woods, has yellow flowers and hollow stems. Grows about 2 feet high. Wonder if it was ever farmed and made into a salve for PI.

n/t

Have not had trouble with the poison ivy...it's the dang mosquito's that annoy me.
I use that "OFF" spray but it stinks to the high heavens!