Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Please Help ID this find

Tony wrote:
"Found this in a site surrounding an old army post and I was wondering if its a relic." [photo also posted]

It would help a lot if you would include something else in the photo for "scale" (like, say, a dime).

How big is the item? Also, what does the item seem to be to you? I'm asking because it kinda looks like a ring, but your front-view-only photo doesn't reveal enough to be sure about that

If it is a ring, are there any markings inside the band, and if so, what?

I don't mean to be giving you a hard time. But we viewers need more info from you than you posted before any of us can give you a reliable answer about the identification and time-period of your item.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy

Okay, thanks for providing additional description - and the more-informative photo. I asked for them because though I myself am not greatly knowledgable about rings, some of the ring-experts in this forum could use your additional details to help identify and date your item.

Now, given that I'm not a ring-expert, there is one possibly-significant thing I can tell you about your ring. In my 32 years of coin/ring & relic-hunting, I haven't seen a ring we could be sure was manufactured prior to the 20th century which had the "divided band" form. (Made that way to permit easy adjustment to the wearer's finger-size). That form seems to be primarily (but perhaps not entirely) a 20th-century development.

Caution-note: Readers, do not mistake a "divided band" with a band that has cracked/split. Lots of rings were made from a straight strip of metal, which was bent into a circle, then the ends of the strip were soldered or brazed together to hide the "seam" in the circle. Sometimes that seam will pop back open ...especially when a slightly-buried ring has been repeatedly frozen and warmed by exposure to weather extremes. I myself dug a very old gold-alloy wedding ring that that had happened to. Don't mistake a popped seam for a "divided band" form of ring.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy