Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Please...any info or comments about this button?

asamado

Hi
The button was found on my yard in South Florida. Is made out of brass. Diameter is 1 1/8" no markings. Never seen a one piece button like this, all are the two piece type with the threading holes on the back.

tony

I just found my first Civil War button and I laid it aside for 3 weeks because I thought it was a modern button until I saw one identical to it in a junk shop. I did some research and found out it was genuine. The reason I ask about the back, I just recently learned you can find the most info from the back if the manufacturers name is stamped on it. However that does not seem to be the case here.
By the way, I am a retired Navy veteran and my anchor clanker friends always wondered why the Navy chose a fouled anchor as their symbol. Should I find so info on your button, I will forward it to you.
John D.

hi john
About the fouled anchor...
never though about it but now that you mentioned I got curious
and this is what I found, check this website...
http://home.satx.rr.com/brookins/fouled.htm

Still does not explain everything "a fould anchor will drag"
and the Navy will drift.
Tony

Very interesting, Thank You! Now I know something about my Navy that I didn't know before>
John D. BU1 (Retired)

Thanks to all for your help. So far no positive Id on the button, guess is time to head for the library.

Regards
Tony