Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Planning a gold trip and wanting to get a new coil before I go.

thekevin

We are currently planning a trip to Arizona to do some detecting for gold. The guys that I am going with have Whites GMT's and I am just wanting to use my 705. What would be the best coil for me to get. We are planning on hitting alot of ravine washouts from the melting snow so probably nothing real deep.

My thoughts would be the 6 inch high frq. DD coil, i have one and it does good for me.

That is what I was leaning towards.

It really depends on what sort of compromise you'e willing to make, and the actual area that you'll hunt. If there are lots of things to hang up on where a solid bottom coil is an advantage, then either the 6" or the 5x10" HF coils would be good. If that's not the case, then you'll have to decide what is more important, finding small nuggets @ shallow depths, or possibly missing the small ones in favor of larger deeper ones. If you're chasing the small ones, then the smaller coils will be best. But if depth and larger targets are the plan, then a larger coil is in order.

In any case, an HF coil is the ticket.
There are five to choose from, and only two aren't waterproof (if that matters). The 5x10" and 10.5" are only water-resistant.

A prospector friend of mine from Nev. had good success in desert areas using the 6" DD HF coil, eventually he did move onto a dedicated gold detector. The 6" DD HF coil will hit on gold pickers down to the size of the ear on a Rosie dime, to my knowledge none of the other HF coils will hit on gold that small. Larger HF coils will give you more depth, but at the expense of missing the really small gold and far and away most of your gold is of the picker size and smaller. One side note, even when my prospector friend got his top of the line Minelab PI unit, until he got to know it better he would keep his XT-70 handy to help better I.D. what his targets were.

Some of the places we are going don't allow much digging so we will be looking for smaller stuff near the surface. Waterproof I think is a must and I really like the idea of a smooth bottom because I figure there will be lots of jagged terrain and washed up roots and such.

Hint hint I know where one of the 6" HF DD coils reside and it was looking for a new home just the other day. Let me know if you want me to bring it to work for you to look at.