Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pirate Waterproof

solmer

Hi, I'm waterproofing my DetectorPro Pirate to go underwater , I've almost finished but during waterproof tests I've noticed that the unit floats !, I'm using a otterbox 8000 case with ip68 pigtails, and I'm wondering if I can solve this.... If unit floats is hard to push it under the water......How commercial brands solve this (Tesoro, Fisher).

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,

They tend to be heavy even then will want to float I know my CZ-21 in the water will float beside me when I let go of it. Dan

I did this with a classic 3 and was worndering about the same thing. I used an otter type box as well. When I used the detector in the water it would float if I let it go, but when it came to using it under water it really didn't present a problem. I did, however, need to spray paint the coil yellow so that I could see it.

I got a unit that i converted also and i put lead sinkers inside or if you have some lead flat stock might work also. harold

a waterproof detector to as close to neutral buoyancy as possible is to put the electronics in as small a box as is possible. The more extra space for air the more buoyant the detector. I don't know what type of batteries the Pirate uses but if they are 9volt you could add a little weight by changing over to 6 1.5 volt AAA batteries as that would take up some of the space and bring you closer to neutral buoyancy. Another thing that would help would be to mount the detector back under the armrest. It's less fatiguing to use your elbow and upper arm to hold the detector underwater than it is to use your hand, wrist, and forearm to keep it underwater. It's always a type fo balancing act when waterproofing a detector to get it as close to neutral buoyancy as possible.

HH

Beachcomber