Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing with the X-terra

christian_99

Most of the individuals who purchased an Xterra were probably Explorer or Explorer II users- my question is the pinpointing function better and more "precise" then that of the Explorer, or is it the same signal "shrinking" feature which the Explorer uses?

So to sum it up, is the Xterra pinpointing process going to take 10 minutes like that with the Explorer on some targets or is the process cut and dry, to where you can immediately find your target?

Also- how good is the machine when the mineralization of a certain area- fluctuates by a few feet from good ground, to extreme mineralization? How is depth affected?

Pimpointing is probably the best I have ever seen on any machine I have used and should take seconds at best. Used to think old metal Tesoro's pinpointed well, but the X-terra is even better.
I would think it would be hard to test where mineralization changes but if your unit becomes erratic rather simple procedure to ground balance..When they said user friendly they meant it...

"Most of the individuals who purchased an Xterra were probably Explorer or Explorer II users"... Maybe it would be more fair to say they have had experience with an Explorer? Then, too, I think a lot of X-Terra buyers are/will be people who have maybe held a Minelab but never really used one much due to the weight & balance concerns.

"- my question is the pinpointing function better and more "precise" then that of the Explorer, or is it the same signal "shrinking" feature which the Explorer uses?"... First, I never really had that much difficulty pinpointing with any of the Explorer's I had. I can tell you that I definitely prefer the X-Terra's pinpointing feature to the Explorer's and, quite frankly, to many of the models on the market today.

The X-Terra might have a "shrinking" feature, but only on the shallower or stronger-reading targets. I noted early on with my X-Terra 50, on the first day afield as a matter of fact, that if a coin-sized target is deeper and you mainly get the volume change when pinpointing, there isn't any "shrinking" as you refer to it. However, if a target is rather shallow (top 3"

The pinpointing feature of the X-Terra is excellent. And, as someone who hardly ever (never) uses the "pinpoint mode", I feel that the design characteristics of a concentric coil has as much to do with narrowing down the target as anything. 90% of the time, I hunt sites that are old farm fields and not well manicured lawns. So, I have the advantage of digging a hole that is 5 or 6 inches diameter, as deep as the Lesche will go, and simply retrieve the target. This don't take pinpoint accuracy on target location and allows me to be an "X" over the target kind of guy. In the ten minutes that you mentioned it takes to pinpoint a target with the Explorer, I will have covered a lot of ground with my X-Terra, dug a lot more holes, and found a lot of additional targets. That, along with the weight and balance, is why I like the X-Terra for my wide open spaces. Granted, there is a time and place for more precise extrication. And for those times, I might use my Explorer or another detector with exceptional discrimination circuitry. But, when I do use the X-Terra, I'm convinced that its pinpoint capabilities will be precise enough to keep the size of those holes minimal. HH Randy

Thank you all for your quick response, it appears from your collective comments that the pinpoint feature is very good to excellent which is very important in iron infested areas. Where targets are co-located in holes and in the area around where the target is being dug.

So out of all of the X-terra's which would be the best to invest in if you had your choice between little brother the (50) and the (70). My primary hunting will be Civil War sites in iron infested or trashy areas. My current primary machines are the Tesoro V and C, as well as the Explorer. Sometimes I will bring all of them out to the field, while others I will just stick with the light weight of the C and V. Note- the ground here is very mineralized to say the least and can fool many people as the ground flux changes from one foot, to another.

Thx for your great replys!

I'd keep the Vaquero if possible, sell the Cibola if you want to and buy the 70 if you're hitting heavy mineralized ground for my money anyway :) I can tell you for CERTAIN that the 70 hunts better in my iron ore dirt than anything I've used except the Explorer.
Mike

Both the X-50 and the X-70 will allow you to adjust the GB for your areas. But, since pinpointing is a concern to you, the X-70 offers target ID while in the pinpointing mode. The X-50 does not. For your situation, I would suggest the X-70.
As I have mentioned before, I seldom use the pinpoint mode on ANY of my detectors, because I primarily hunt in wide open spaces where target separation is not usually an issue. However, in my trusty old coin garden, I have several coins masked with trashy items. Several of my detectors can separate them with sound, but the X-70 (and its ability to update the target ID while in the pinpoint mode) allows me to "see" which target is directly under the coil. HH Randy