Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing with the Explorer II ???

Detector_Pat

Hi all, I have had my Explorer II for over a year but don't have as many hrs detecting as I should. I am finding that pinpointing with Ex II can sometimes be a chore. I used to have the White's Spectrum XLT, and loved the pinpointing on that machine. I realize that it takes practice but I am finding myself with nothing in the plug, and spending more time on a target than is necessary. I am wondering if others out there had any problems with the pinpointing with the Explorer? Just wanting to hear what you other Explorer users have expierenced. I haven't been on this site long, so have patience :eek:)

See if you can get the mastering the Explorer book, it will help.
Here is what you can try when using the pinpoint mode though. Put it in pinpoint mode and approach the target in 90 degree quads, it will start to sound just at the side of the middle strip. After doing that from 4 directions, you should be able to get a fairly close location. Sometimes you need to repeat the above so that you can be sure of location. There are other methods but it is covered in the book mentioned above.

It is more of a challenge to pinpoint with the DD coil as compared to a concentric coil.

With the proper technique you can pinpoint a target in less than 10 seconds and not be off more than about 1/2". Of course, if the target is at an angle or not coin shaped, then the challenges can be much greater.

You have to be careful with the Explorer because you will pickup targets with the outer rim of the coil. This leads to an empty hole because the target is not where you think it is. Also, if the target is under the outer rim of the coil, then the target ID is not proper.

Most everyone one has their own preferred method of pinpointing, so there is no one best way. This is what works for me.

1. When you have a target indication, then pull the coil back towards you while doing a moderately fast side to side wiggle of the coil.
2. When the target indication falls off, then the target is "about" under the front edge of the coil. Either focus on this point or mark it with a golf tee. How accurate this is depends upon the depth of the target. You will usually be within a couple inches of the target.
3. Go to the pinpoint mode and sweep an "X" pattern over the target. You can greatly narrow down the location of the target by successively detuning (pressing and releasing the PINPOINT button) the detector while continuing to sweep over the target. It is surprising how well you can narrow in on a coin size target.

After practicing for a while it becomes second nature and you can do this without even thinking about it.

Hope this helps.
Glenn