Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pinpointing with the 3 KHz Minelab coil

BoobieinPa

I tried out the new coil yesterday, and I could use some advise from the group. I was in a area fairly clear of trash, but with a small amount of soda and beer cans. It showed on a penny at 2 inches. The pinpoint was right on with the penny, and the other coins 2 inches or less deep.

It also gave a great tone that showed a depth the full length of the screen. When I ran over a soda can lid or anything of that approximate size it always showed 8 inches or deeper. I did dig up the targets at that exact depth.

My problem is that they were no where near the center of the coil. Most of the time the targets were 4 to 5 inches away from the center of the coil going both ways and not just to one side or another. When I use any of the other coils I am able to pinpoint very close to where they should be.

I was using pattern 3 with the sens set at 26 which is what I most often set it at. I even lowered the sens down to 15 with the same results.

WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG????

Depth mode on ALL detectors is based on coin sized targets. With targets larger than coins, all bets are off. If you are using the 3 kHz coil, then you obviously have the X-70. Instead of using the pinpoint feature to pinpoint, try using the Prospecting mode to both pinpoint the target and size it up before digging. You can't determine the depth with the Prospecting mode. But you will be able to determine where the target is located, as well as it's approximate size and shape. HH Randy

Thank you very much I will try that.

Just to add on to what Digger said. if you want to check if a target is bigger than a coin, just raise the coil. A coin won't hang on past 6 inches but a can will. The same applies to any large item.
Des Dunne made a comment only yesterday on here about using the arrows. he said that if all the arrows light up at the same time, then the target isn't going to be a coin. Look up his post if you would like to read it. it should still be on the first page.
Something else that Digger has mentioned again only in the last couple of days that is a good point. watch the ground where your target hits the coil. If it moves around, then it's junk. A coin will give a consistent signal.
Mick Evans.