Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing Questions....

Detector_Pat

I was wondering if anyone has trouble pinpointing with the ExplorerII?? A couple of things have been happening lately while pinpointing a nice, solid target. Sometimes, while pinpointing, I get a weak, varying, unstable sound that I cannot pinpoint the target. Another is when pinpointing on a nice solid coin target, I try to pinpoint, when I sweep side to side, instead of losing the signal, it is just a solid tone, a good foot or more each way. I go to pinpoint other targets, and no problem.
I realize that there are many different things that could make a metal detector act goofy but I can't seem to put a finger on this one.
I already posted about this but only had one person respond. I really could use some help on this. I don't know if maybe there is a problem with the detector or not. Error on my part, sure could be.
Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Tnx, Pat

the Explorer pinpointed like a White's. With the graph and sound I could put the center on top of a BB just about every time!

I did try and dig a couple of times but didn't come up with anything. I didn't want to make to much of a mess. Next time I am going to dig until I find whatever it is that is setting off the machine. Thanks...

I had the same trouble with my ExplorerII. It took me a while to get used to it. I solved the problem when I bought their smaller coil. Since then the pinpointing was MUCH easier and right on the money. I did not lose any depth that I can notice.​

WOW! I'm glad someone else has problems pinpointing with the explorers! I too used to swing an XLT. Whites machines are hands down superior to an EX in pinpointing. A few things I have noticed about pinpointing with the EXII I have.
1. It doesnt pinpoint deep coins period. I have used the EXII enough now that most of the really deep coins I dig only hit from one direction. When I try to pinpoint them I get a very week, broken signal. I find it easier to swing the coil several times and listen to the tone/watch the coil and remember where the tone hits in relation to the ground. I dig a VERY big plug there and pray that the coin is flat down there. If it is flat it will be in the bottom of the hole. If it is at any kind of angle it will be in the side of the hole. This is why the pinpointer is so popular with the EX users. YOU GOTTA HAVE ONE FOR DEEP COINS. When I first started swinging the EXII I thought "Holy Cr@p! what a heavy machine!" Then I stuck a 12.5 coil on it and it became a little heavier. As I started figuring the machine out, and learning what the deep coins sounded like, I found I needed a pinpointer. I also figured out that that this was the reason you see the sunray probes attached to the shaft of the serious, successful EX hunters out there. They are digging deep signals and need the pinpointer. I cant imagine adding another .25 lbs (or whatever) to the beast already so I use a handheld. The pinpoint mode works OK for anything under 6 or 7 inches. beyond that it either doesnt work or I havent figured it out yet. I wonder if you hunt with deep off it would change the pinpoint tone?
2. Dont hold the coil over the target when you change to pinpoint mode or you will null the target. If you do this the target will not pinpoint right. Thus you get this huge target sometimes. Wait till you get a good hit on your target then move away from the target to activate the pinpoint mode, then come back. With the 12.5 shallow coins pinpoint different. They will not always fall off the front of the coil. They will, instead, sound off at the center of the coi, the SWEETSPOT.
3. The double d coils will "double tap" on shallow coins and on bigger objects. When you hear mutliple high tones the center of the coil is passing over the target and it is shallow enough to make it tone twice. Lift the coil until the target only produces one high tone. If you lift it more than four inches off the ground and it still double taps, it is most likely an aluminum can.
4. Coins between 4 to 7 inches will sound sweet and will pinpoint fairly well most of the time. Beyond that it is a real M(#*&$#(F(*#&%(#$ to pinpoint. I dug two early teen wheats tonight at about 10 inches. both of them took me about 5 minutes to find as they were BOTH off center from the pinpoint. I guess that is the real beauty of the EX series. They can find really deep coins. Just remember that that the coins off angle will be farther away from the pinpoint the deeper they are. It's a simple matter of geometry.

Anyway. This is just my opinion. There are a bunch of guys out there with a lot more experience with the explorers and I am waiting to hear from them. BTW. Take and XLT or a 6000 and put a hotshot coil on it. It will read the deep coins as high 90's or mid to high 60's. This is the same thing the EX does, only a little differently.

Thanks for listening to me ramble!!!

Thankyou much for your insight. I just got a reply from the dealer where I bought the detector, and he told me that before I pinpoint, hold the coil in the air before pinpointing, otherwise it will show a huge target. I have had the Explorer II for about a year and a half but only have maybe 20 hrs use on it. I am not putting in more time.
Thanks, Pat