Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing frustrations

sport.pilot

OK -- I took out my X-terra 70 for the first time today and hunted at a local park. I used the standard coil. I went through all the motions (noise cancel, ground balance, etc,) and elected to hunt mostly in the all metal mode, Sensitivity was set at 15 and the detector was stable. I heard many targets, dug 3 copper pennies, 2 zinc pennies, 2 clad dimes, a clad quarter (a solid 42), 3 screw caps (2 read 30 and one 32), and one square pull tab (with hole in it) that read a 12. I thought it might be a nickel even though the tone was a big rough.

Now my frustration: I tried Xing targets and I tried using the Pinpoint Mode. I found that most of the time, the target did not center in the coil (one dime was on edge so that is understandable). I would listen to the VCO sound and watch the bars fill the circle in Pinpoint Mode, but when I probed for the coin, I did not find the targed in the center circle of the coil. When I Xed the target, I could not figure out where it was. I am used to Xing my targets and finding them in the center the majority of the time, and in pinpoint mode on my XLT having the same experience. I would appreciate any suggestions. I use a plugger, and many coins today took 2 or 3 plugs to find the coin.

Does the standard coil not pinpoint in the "center"? If not, can anybody tell me how to know where the coin should be when in pinpoint mode or Xing the target? I could use any suggestions on how to properly locate the coin under the coil. I should also say that I have a 6" DD coming later this week, and I am hoping that will help. But I would also like to be able to use the bigger coil to cover more ground. My CZ-5 had a similar issue. It did not pinpoint in the center of the coil, the coin was just below where the rod attached to the coil. I could not figure it out today. I also realize this was my first outing with the detector and I should not expect miracles! Thank you all for any help you can give me.

Don't use the visual graph for pinpointing. Use your ears. Plus raising the coil 1 inch helps. You can also detune your target for pinpointing too. The 6 inch DD coil pinpoints dead center by X-ing the target. Or at the 12 O'clock position if you pull the coil back to you. Have you tried pinpointing in the disc mode? Just center the beep left to right then up and down. Use a slow and short sweep.

Out of all the detectors I have owned over the past few years the X70's pinpoining capabillities amazes me.

in addition to those already mentioned by khouse is to try the Prospecting mode instead of the Pinpoint mode. It won't tell you the approximate depth. But the signal will be the most intense with the target under the center of the stock coil. Let us know how that works for you. HH Randy

what you could also try in CT mode is after locating a target and pressing pinpoint, is to lift the coil away from the ground and turn the pinpoint off and on again, seems to make the pinpointing tighter. In PM mode the pinpointing is spot on with just a few millimeters of movement and its off center on smaller targets, you can also "paint" the target in PM mode for larger targets see the FAQ. ( XT 70 Bible)
I have used the 6" DD coil just for a couple of hours and found it excellent, I just drag the coil slowly back until the signal has gone the target is then under the front tip of the coil.

HH,
John

and if the coin is on edge it will be off to the side... hand held pinpointers help...