Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointer Help? Monte? anybody?

LuckLarry

Please forgive me. I posted an earlier version of this question inside a post net really appropriate for the subject. Not supriseingly we recieved no replies. After further study a lot of my knowledge and hence a lot of this post has been changed.

OK .so, can someone fill me in on the SunRay pinpointer? My MXT is dang heavy as it is. Although after reading more post recently I am going to remove my coil cover, I can see how that will help with the wieght thing. I had overlooked how leverage can amplify the wieght of things.

Anyway back on target. I received a Bullseye 2 pointer with my MXT when I bought it. Of course it was broken right out of the box.(at least I hope this is it's broken state) It only vibrates and will not sound a tone, no matter how I change the switch position. Very disappointing as pinpointing the object is the hardest part of the job for me. I usually wind up digging a good sized hole as I search and search.

I have eventually found two items when using this Probe. A clad penny and a pull-tab. But I was thinking there has to be something better. I guess its not the SuperStores fault that I got a piece of junk. I did finally call them, they did not offer to take it back, they suggested I open it up and start fiddling around inside of it to effect a repair. Ahhhh....Sure.

Anyway last time I called them to buy an dandy extra fiber rod tip at a reasonable cost of $9.95, they wanted an an extra $9.95 to ship it. (it must weigh all of a few ounces tops, really you can hardly feel it in your hands when you hold it.) I decided to get a new tip from my local dealer instead. I am pretty darn sure I wouldn't want to know how much it would cost to get the Bullseye II shipped back to me if I returned it to my "Super Store", even though I can get it to them very economically.

We live. we Shop. We Learn.

So enough whining from me! To my Question, does anybody know if it would be worth spending a tidy $100.00 bill for a working BullsEye II model at my local dealer? Or should I just leave the whole Bulls Eye idea, along with the unit, in my trash can here in the den, and go try something else?

I went to the Website for SunRay and I think I see a device that is just a small coil in a rod that uses all the really expensive and complicated magic of the MXT, it looks like it may incorporate a switch to jump between the machines coil and a PVC stick mounted coil.

Does this thing bore holes in the ground or something? It's a pretty pricey additional weight on your machine, that leaves all the work of technology and magic to the MXT. Of course maybe thats a good thing. We all know the MXT is one fine piece of electronics. So does any one out there know how it compares to a Treasure Mate Pinpointer, or a Falcon MD20, or MD20FP?

OK. OK. I know I am playing devils advocate here. And many of you are probably dying to correct my thinking.(I hope so) I really do want to know what makes the SunRay the "talked about thing it is" The ads don't seem to explain anything about it's technology, or pattern, or just what makes it so great. As far as the add I read, it was just all hype, with real or imaginary people bragging about how good it is. No technical data. Maybe I read the wrong ads. I have not found any comparison testing on the WEB. I did read something about a comparison of pinpointers, done in what must be the one magazine I don't already get. (Don't even suggest it. If I order one more magazine on metal detecting my wife will surely pile them all outside as a bonfire to burn my body with, or even worse my MXT!)

Man, you would never know what a happy go lucky guy I really am from this post, huh?
I just really enjoy making informed purchases, and getting slammed by the SuperStore kinda didn't help my mood any.

OK, I'm ready. Blast me. Please, anybody.
I am ready for more light and knowledge on this subject.

I tried the SunRay pinpointer.

I did not like how it falsed.

It was a bit heavier to swing but not that noticable.

I sold it and went back to using my vibraprobe.

I like the vibraprobe and I can use it to bore holes into the ground with it. It is very sturdy.

First of all, you Bullseye probe should be under warranty. Call Whites tech support and explain the situation. They'll give you instructions on how to return it and you'll get a working pin pointer back in no time. Whites service is second to none.

Second, the coil cover weight is minimal. The MXT's weight balance is really quite good. You didn't say, but I suspect you have the shaft fully extended. Try shortening up the shaft by one click. This will have two effects: It will shift the center of gravity back towards the control box a bit. It will lower the torque on your arm as the sweep ends and you start the reverse sweep. Another benefit is that the coil is now closer to your feet and make you slow down your advance. This will improve your sweep overlap and increase your finds. :)

You may also change the placement of the arm cup forward/back and see if it increases the comfort.

The Sun Ray probe is by far the best accessory you can ad to it. this is actually a mini coil and will do everything the main coil does but get the depth of the main coil. The depth will be good, but no 7 or 8 inches like the coil gets. Now if the target is shallow I turn on the probe and find the target with the probe,if deeper I will dig a plug then use the probe to find the target. Save so much time so i can find more targets so it will increase your finds.
Now the Bullseye may get a inch of depth, but the Sun Ray will get about 4 inches, so you wont have to touch the target for the probe to see it, helps find those target that are deeper and those on the side of the hole.
The only thing I see that some don't like is they run the gain too high and when using the probe it may not be running stable and may be hard to tell a good signal from a false. I never run higher than 9 when using the probe, but will turn it up to check a target and back down when using the probe.
I don't feel much difference in the weight of the detector, but know it has to be slightly heavier, but not real noticeable.
Another thing with the Sun Ray probe is that you hear everything though your headphones, so you don't have to take the headphone off or dig out the Bullseye out of your pouch, with the Sun Ray probe it is just switch the toggle switch on and it switches the signal from the coil to the probe. You just got to remember to switch it back before you start hunting if you want to find anything.

Rick

because they do not false--My first one did false--Sent it back-New cord fixed that problem--I had used the vibra probe before--The Sun Ray is so much better I gave the V.P. to my son in law---If the Sun Ray works correctly it is excatly like the main loop except it is 1 in.--I get around 4 inches with mine with the MXT maxed out--Ralph will fix it if you return it---I cannot say a thing Bad about it----I wish you would have returned it as are really missing out on the best probe around --

Best investment I evermade for the MXT just as important as quality headphones like my RATPhones. Next best pinpointer is the Treasuremate.

I use it and would not be without it. Yes, it does add some weight but the convenience and ease of use outweigh (no pun intended) that draw back.

When I use it I flick the probe switch and also switch the MXT to Prospect (all metal) mode and quickly zero in on my targets.

On shallow targets I repeatedly raise and lower the probe to the ground and wherever the tone is loudest is usually dead center. This works much better than leaving in the search mode or trying to hold the pin point switch while working with the probe.

How long have you been using your MXT or any detector?

I found, even before the SunRay Probe, that my arm got tired but the more I used it the less my arm got tired. Stick with it and see if it is just a matter of building up your endurance. I have used it on my Eclipse elliptical 14" when not on the beach. Now, THAT is heavy.

Since I usually only use the 14" on sandy beaches I don't use the probe with that coil very much.

Before detecting season I limber up my arm while driving my car. I hold my full coffee cup in my right hand and s-l-o-w-l-y bring the cup from out straight to the right and over to my left shoulder then back to the right. That doesn't sound like much but try doing that for 5 - 10 minutes. At first I have to strain to do it for a full minute. Note: this is not acceptable with a passenger in the front seat.

After I can do that for 5 - 10 minutes I am ready and able to get out and hit the dirt.