Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pinpoint question

gware12

I have read on the post you cannot pinpoint as deep as you detect. If you get a hit do you dig a big hole to find it or is there another technique or ideas?

[quote gware12]I have read on the post you cannot pinpoint as deep as you detect. If you get a hit do you dig a big hole to find it or is there another technique or ideas?[/quote]

It depends on the depth of the target. Lets say I got a questionable quarter hit at about 3 or 4 inches. I try to pinpoint but I repeatedly get nothing. My instincts would tell me that it is a hot rock, and I would probably not dig.

If however it was in the 8+ range, I would most likely dig due to the depth. It could in fact be a quarter at the edge of the detectors range. If I dig a large enough hole (in a wooded area where it is acceptable to dig large holes) then I would sweep the coil in the hole to see if the target got stronger.

I would not worry too much about it. It is rare that this would happen. Last summer I dug a colonial copper coin at more than 10 inches with the ACE. It pinpointed beautifully. Even at that depth I was fairly certain it was a coin as soon as I pinpointed it!

that encourages me alot. I dont want to feel like I have passed up alot of good coins which I may have a few, but what about those one beep targets?

If the target is indicating 3 bars or less of depth (6 inches) then pinpoint using the 12 o'clock position of the inner coil. If it is deeper than that, go over the target with the pinpoint button held in;then while holding it over the target, hit the pinpoint button a second time and hold it in. his is called detuning. Usually, only the front half of the inner coil is active, when you do this.You will get a 3 inch wide signal in the centre of the coil. Once you centre it, push the coil forwards and watch the centre cut out in the middle of the coil for when the signal is lost. That is where the target will be. Very accurate. You are right. It detects deeper than the pinpoint can reach. So if it's deeper than that:stars: then simply pass the coil over the target and watch the ground under the coil closely. At this point, the target will always sound off in the middle of the coil. Also very accurate.
Have fun.
Mick Evans.

So far with ALL of my one beep signals I have only recovered aluminum.
I will beat the others by saying that a valuable find may also only give a single beep but it has yet to happen to me.

great advice

I'd have to do some tests, but on mine, my pinpoint mode seems to go as
deep as the ID mode. But I haven't run any careful tests to check it.
But I've never had an object that beeped in the ID mode, but would not
show up in the pinpoint mode.
On mine, they seem to go about the same depth.
I'll have to do some tests and check this later..
But my pinpoint mode goes pretty deep.
Of course, if you are detuned, that would shrink it down, but
I'm talking about not detuned.. I sometimes use the pinpoint mode as
an actual detect mode, as I like the non motion mode at times.
I'll try to do some tests on mine, and I'll report what I see.
Shouldn't be too hard to tell which goes the deepest.
I do know one thing that I found from testing quite a while back.
The sensitivity control has no effect at all on the pinpoint mode.
It's full blast all the time, unless you detune.
MK

I have noticed with my 250 when I find something and press/hold the pinpoint on the target you can barley hear it. But on that same target I will raise the coil up about 2 1/2 feet in the air then press/hold and drop the coil back down on the target and have a good loud tone that has pinpointed stuff as far down as 12 inches.

It seems to me that when it is beeping on a target it has a hard time switching over to pinpoint. Or my MD is as tired as I am.:biggrin:

If you get in a area with too much junk, other words the pointer on the display usually sits on iron and foil. The pinpoint will be a steady tone where ever you put the coil.

That is where a pin pointer comes in handy. I missed several small pieces of gold and some good coins in the thick junk today because I couldn't use the pinpoint on my MD for all the nails and tin roofing that has roted into the ground.

Good luck! hope this might help.