Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

pinpoint falsing

wolfman266

Sometimes while pinpoining a target if I lift the coil off the ground with the trigger on the machine will keep on buzzing. Sometimes I can llift it 4 feet of the ground and it still buzzes. Is this normal or is something wrong with my machine. I ususally run the machine at
+1to+3 gain, coin and jewelry, ground track on, Disc. factory preset below nickle

once the coil responds to the metal target in the ground and you leave the trigger pulled and raise the coil, that there is somekind of little nonsensical electrical thing going on....
I have noticed that too on a MXT here recently and doesn't seem to hurt a thing.... I'm sure that there is a simple explanation but "nonsensical electrical thing" is all I could come up with.... Have fun and best to you, RichardnTn

Well either the owners manual or "MXT Frequently Asked Questions" tells you not to pull the pinpoint trigger while over a target. Sweep off to the side and above the ground enough to know you have no metal under your coil THEN pull the trigger and swing back down and pinpoint.

Well thats interesting. I have found that I quite often have to be in the process of swinging over the target and actually be in the process of hearing the target tone, before the machine will pinpoint.

I think what is happening is if I stay just above and on target too long, the MXT actually tracks to the target and starts to think it is ground. When this happens, I get no signal at all when I squeeze the trigger to pinpoint. To remedy this, I find I need to start fresh, swinging on the target again until I hear the varying audio of a target passing underneath, I can then press the trigger and successfully pinpoint.

As always

You're right. If your toggle switch is set to Trac, and you keep swinging over the target for a period of time the detector will start to trac out the target. The MXT does not average its reading sweep after sweep like many detectors. There is no advantage of swinging the coil over a target more than a few times. Here's what I do. After I find a target I immediatley swing the coil over and up and pull the trigger. Then pinpoint. Then release the trigger and sweep directly over the target. Target must be directly under the center of the coil to get the most reliable info on target ID.