Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pin pointing

Donut

Ok on my others Detector xterra 70 it pinpoints in the center of the coil below the Minelab sticker.
Now on my Nox I was always am off in pinpointing just by a little.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I placed a quarter on the ground and pinpointed it to the center. Now hears something I discovered with the Nox DD.
What I found is it has two pinpoint spots. When moving forward and back after centering the coil I noticed that the pinpoint circle comes together at two separate spots , right below each stickers on the coil ,
Would someone try this and let me know if I am correct or am I doing something wrong. If I am correct then there would be a lot less digging. Or is just because I am so close to the coil with the coin.

Doug

When a target is in the ground my 600 is the worst for pinpointing of any detector i have ever had, {six different detectors} i have found nothing that works very well, dragging back works i think better than centering the coil, if anyone out there knows of something better let me know, hopefully an update will fix the problems, other than that the nox is a great detector.

I've found that if the target is an inch or more deep, watching the cursor while using the PP button puts the target pretty close to the center of the coil when you get the cursor to come together at the top of the screen.

I agree but the curser was coming to get her twice but not in center , and each time it was directly below the stickers , one between center and front of the coil and the second one was the same at the rear

Ok I think you are right being just too hot . It was wired and I’ve never seen that in my 40 years of Detecting..
Thank you

HighPlainsHunter said:
[size=medium]Try raising the coil, or detuning the pinpoint mode, to pinpoint targets close to the surface...[/size]

That's the answer. A target that is too close to the coil makes pinpointing difficult, so what I do is to raise the coil a few inches, and pinpointing is right in the middle. However, I often don't use the pinpoint button since I am used to the crisscross pattern over the target, or just paying attention to the increase in sound when the coil is centered with the target (the sound is more pronounced right in the middle). The pinpoint button is handy for deeper targets, however.

The Equinox seems to have a pretty hot coil but I am not having any issues pinpointing in the wild using the wiggle, crisscross or pin point button. Raising the coil is great {thanks high plains hunter} and should become second nature, it helps determine location, size and works really well on coins on edge and double beepers. JMO
HH Jeff

Please disregard this post because I had sensitivity up to high and just being to close .
Thanks everyone.

Doug

I've been using the NOX 800 in my backyard for the past month and have found the wiggle/top notch method to be superior to the use of pinpointing for locating targets 4" - 9" deep. My backyard is covered in trash and hot rocks and sometimes when I use the pinpoint method I'll never even find a target when I dig deep...it just disappears.

Thanks Lawrence. I will be trying that to see if it works better for me. When I use the pinpointed 90% of the time it’s off to one side when I use the pinpoint

Doug

I was having problems when pinpointing and most of the time the target was never directly below and was always off to one side. So I tried something different and after finding the target I raised the coil up and then pinpointed and the target and my pinpointing was more accurate. I’m wondering if having the coil too close to the ground is affecting the pinpointing and if the ground balance is affecting it or the signal is just to strong being. I’m not sure. But this is what I have been doing it lately.

Doug

I agree, worst pinpointing detector I ever owned and I've owned plenty. In the ocean it is almost impossible. I have tried all the methods I normally use, wiggle, criss cross etc., but I have not tried raising the coil. Hopefully that will work on land, but I don't see it working in the ocean.

There’s nothing wrong with the detector and the signal it puts out is just so good you have to deal with that and raising it up say an inch reduces the power (I’m guessing) seams to help.
When in water I pinpoint with the shaft straight up and when pinpointed I lower it down and then bring the scoop tipnright up and the point is touching the coil then then remove coil and o straight down with the scoop then pull back while nudging it back , this is just how I do it . It works fore me. If I were to pull back hard it would probable break break the handle. In the lakes I go to here there is clay below the sand.

sandnsea49 said:
I agree, worst pinpointing detector I ever owned and I've owned plenty. In the ocean it is almost impossible. I have tried all the methods I normally use, wiggle, criss cross etc., but I have not tried raising the coil. Hopefully that will work on land, but I don't see it working in the ocean.

That has not been my experience with the Equinox. I find it as easy to pinpoint than my other detectors. However, I seldom use the pinpoint button, and listen to the clearer signal as the center of the coil travels over the target. If using the pinpoint button and the signal is off the center, then I know that the coil is too close to the target. If the target is buried, then that problem won't happen. Anyway, if you place a coin on the ground and you to check what area of coil would be the center if the pinpoint, elevate the coil and try that way. However, I don't know another about detecting at the ocean.