Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pill the Trigger Time - Explorer? Safari?

stevecoleccs

New to the forum, been out of MD for a few years. I want to do mostly coinshooting with an every once in a while rerlic hunting, what would be a great detechor for coin? Explorer, Safari, MXT?????????????????????????????????????????

Thanks!!! For any comments!!!

Here's my take on it.
The Explorer & Safari share the same coil and accessories for the most part and there are plenty to choose from.
The Safari is kind of a dumbed down Explorer steered towards relic hunting but is very capable of pulling coins as deep as the Explorer.
Two models of the Safari but latest Safari is the quicker responder with a faster processor.

A good used XS, EX II or maybe even a SE can be had on the forums for a real good price and I strongly suggest buying from detecting forums over eBay ... for TRUST issues mostly.
Simply put, nothing out there equals the Explorer platform for coin shooting, that's what it was designed for and the only other machine that compares is the Etrac.... but the jury is still out on that one.

The MXT is by far my choice of any Whites offerings, YES even over a DFX because it's a more rounded machine in my opinion. It's also the relics hunters choice in Culpeper, Va. where the ground is almost nuclear hot. It does a good job at coin shooting, just doesn't quite equal the Explorer for coins. The MXT can be used for nugget hunting and you can forget that with a Explorer unless you hunt where the nuggets usually come up in good size. The MXT also has a ton of coil choices to choose from ... so you can't go wrong there either.

With the Explorer, Safari and MXT ... you have the option to add the Sunray pinpoint probe .... hard to live without once you use it.

On the other hand, the XTerra 70 is another fine choice, it does well in hot ground, is a great nugget shooter, coin shooter,relic hunter and I've had good luck with it on beaches too.
Also has many coil choices ... but no Sunray probe is available because the coils have chips in them specific to frequency changes. Still a great lightweight machine with outstanding battery life.

Just my 2 cents worth ... hope it helps :)

Mike

Just pass all them up and go stright to the E-Trac. You will need a longer digger to get all the old coins and relics out of the ground. HH...Jesse.

Look on the E-Trac forum and see what is being found, they just got to be used a little different than the Explorers is why some have problems. I know mine seems to be excellent and finding more coins in with trash I missed with the SE Pro at a few sites. Like the Explorers and the Sovereign some have better luck with one over the others and feel it depends on how well you get to understand what it is telling you. I feel when we see more getting out with the E-Trac when the weather gets better we will see more good finds with the E-Trac.

I use a se all the time....have a e-trac just so used to the se....have not used the e-trac...My buddy has a e-trac and is always finding a lot of silver and he swings his coil high off the ground...going to get my e-trac out...he just seems to always find silver ,in each trip out....the two are different?.....I love the se...I just can't help it ,I have to try the e-trac I got!.........every time he pulls silver and more rings than I do?.........AND I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS A LOT LONGER THAN HIM?

I think if one will read the ET forum it would be hard to say the E-Trac is a piece of 'crap'. It is expensive! Had both and sold me SE. Won't go back! Jim

Stand corrected - not a piece of crap, just in a bad mood. Still searching for the right MD for me, leaning between the Explorer & MXT...

I agree. From what I've read, not having an E-Trac, it is NOT an Explorer III but a different FBS detector altogether. But from what I've read it also is definately NOT crap.

I guess the thing is, you won't find many if any E-Tracs used so you are going to have to pay $1500 and buy a new one. You can get a good used SE Pro in the 800 dollar range which is just a little over half the price of the E-Trac. Granted the SE pro won't have a warranty since it's non-transferrable, but you are looking at getting a lot of detector for that money. I just bought one in that price range in like new condition.

The display is different than it is on the Explorer as far as how it shows targets, and it probably has a faster processor and a quicker response as well. But the SE is quite capable in trash too with the new Pro coil if you go slow.

The Safari also has a faster processor and a great response, from what I saw it comes close to the F75. But in the end, yeah it's kind of a dumbed down Explorer in the sense that you don't have the range of discimrination available to you that you do in the Explorer. I haven't seen many used Safaris for sale, so you will likely end up paying the 999 for that as well, though that would also have a warranty.

It really all depends on what you want, and what you want to spend. If you put in the time to learn the machine you get I'm sure you can do well with any of them. Being Minelabs none of them are junk or toy detectors.

The explorer SE used with a pro coil(200.00)...should cost around 900.00 to 950.00(750.00 for the se)...or close to that!
and you get a killer detector!!!!...sometimes you can get a better deal with someone , getting a e-trac.....Just have to find someone who is married...because you know he will have to sell his se to get e-trac!.........he he

That's how I got my SE Pro, used, from someone who was getting an Etrac, for 875 shipped. It was in top condition only signs of use on the bottom of the coil cover. Hard to beat that in my view.

So far I've gotten the Sunray cover for it, with the Jeff Herke Arm cuff, the X-1 probe, and 8" Minelab, 6" excellerator and 12x10 SEF coils to go with the pro coil. I really like this setup a lot. The Jeff Herke cuff is really good too, first rate replacement for the standard cheap plastic cuff. (One of these days Minelab will fix that I'm sure). Also picked up an extra rechargable and the car charger so I'm pretty happy with this setup, just gotta wait for the weather to get decent.

And, I'd gladly stay single to keep my rig! :) Pretty much have to anyway in order to be able to detect, that's a given.

Don"t let my other half see this post....I"ll be the guy with three legs....shaft in the middle!!!

yea, why do wives give us guys so much trouble when we want to buy something for our-self? But the wife thinks nothing about buying a car for herself without asking ? It seems everything I ever want to buy is a waist of money but what my wife buys is a essential item???? I guess its just a mystery of life.:confused: