Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pig tales.....part 1

Dan-MO

Being raised on a farm and dealing with livestock one has to learn many skills-including some veterinarian skills.(Fred, Mike and others could attest to this) I can

ya got me squirmin in my chair.....:rofl:

Learned lots while doing that. One of the most interesting parts of the job was dealing with a cow with a prolapsed uterus. The vet{an old time country vet,] would take brown sugar and coat the uterus; this absorbed the moisture and made it manageable. Then he would reach in and attach the uterus. It looked kinda ugly at first, but he did that job so slick....

Fair winds

Mikie

Over the years, there have been lots of changes in the way things are done. Many folks now are leaning towards polled cattle...not as much dehorning being done as in the past. Pigs are another subject...one that I know little about and really never cared to know much about.

On the subject of cattle, the biggest mistake is the failure to stock your ranch with cattle that match the land. Too often folks will try to raise cattle with too large of a frame score and then wonder why the cattle do so poorly. You must fit the cattle to your land. Down here in South Texas you can normally plan on one cow/calf pair per 20 to 30 acres of native grass. If you plant some good hay grass like Coastal Bermuda, you can often maintain a cow/calf pair on as little as 5 acres.

Dan, your story is renewing some good memories...thanks for posting it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

the only thing I ever nutted was a dang Goat and I will never forget it. I used bands to do the horns and the nuggets. I put them on the horns and he was sure a squalling but when I did the bag he made a little jump and that was it. A few days later the parts started falling off.

It took me a lot of reserve to let that small band lose around his nuggets though. Only a man could understand though

n/t

Not being a farm boy, I'm learning a LOT more than I really needed to know. :puke:

We raised pigs strictly for profit {although we didn't always make any!} and were dealing with a hundred or more at a time sometimes.A pig with his tail removed would bing 4-5 dollars more each when sold -X 100 or more - that was a chunk of money. They wouldn't need the iron suplement if they could get to dirt-ours were born on wood floors in a building.If exposed to dirt they could get the iron they needed naturally-from rooting around in the dirt.A farrowing crate is a small pen about 7 feet long and 2 feet wide.It has about a 10 inch gap between the bottom board and the floor. The sow goes in the crate when she is ready to delever....it is so narrow that she can't turn around in it. A heat lamp was hung on the outside of the crate. The babys were drawn to the heat from the lamp and away from the sow,they could get outside the crate from the 10 inch gap under the bottom board -the sow could not'This prevented the little ones from getting smashed when momma laid down....Without a crate you would probably lose a few babys but not all.

As far as the little boars -fixing them is not much of a chore-as long as you have it done when they are small! Any vet should do it for a small fee.They will not be fit to eat when they grow up without this being done-or worth much money should you sell them

It sounds like you might be a good candidate for one of them pygmy, house trained pigs. :rolleyes:

:rofl: