Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Picking up Chicks

7centsworth

Well chirping ones anyway.:crazy: The coons and opossums killed several of my chickens the last few weeks. So my neighbor and I have set out traps and caught 4 coons and 4 opossums. I now only have 1 chicken laying and three to be laying in a couple months. So I had to replenish the flock. We had a total of 13 hatch. I put the last 5 in the brooder when I got home from work. I really enjoy raising Chickens. Nothing like hearing them chirp and trying to walk while your trying to sleep. I hatch them in the house and then take them in the garage to the brooder.

Seen Liz post on FB. Need to tie a coon hound up out there!

I had a good dog. But she got ran over. Then the animals had a field day with my chickens.

Having chickens is great but being in the city limits that's a no-no ,as the city does not like this,but I love to hear rooster crow:thumbup:About six years ago I bought a English-banny rooster,just to hear him crow in the mornings---he was so funny:biggrin:When he tried to crow in the mornings he could barely get it out,his voice was not very loud but that was OK otherwise the neighbors would not like it.He was very lonesome so went back to the buyer and bought him a wife named "Goldie" ,she was beautiful and the rooster really cared for her.Finally named the rooster "Ringo" had them for 6--7 years and he died, Goldie lasted another year and died sure do miss his crowing in the mornings:sad:Ringo was so spoiled that when I picked him up and petted him he would fall asleep in my lap:blink:

My grandmother always raised baby chicks and would start them in an incubator....ever since dad and his bro and sister were young she did this and after they were grown! Grandma also had guinea hens and they would announce our coming across the field to grandma's house as soon as we entered the gate! She and step-grandpa also had mules and cows! They didn't have anyway to keep the milk cold, so when I was a young girl, I said I didn't like grandma's milk and they said it was cow's milk and I said, Then I want Bull's milk....as I said I was very young....they all sure got a big laugh out of that! LOL!! That is when we lived in St. Louis and we had an ice box and bought blocks of ice from the iceman which kept our milk cold! :surrender: God Bless! Ma

Hi Bill, Mom and dad had one of those bandy roosters and it would strut around and try to outdo the larger roosters! I liked hearing it crow also! Sometimes farm-life was fun but most of the time it was hard work!! God Bless! Ma

Guineas are some of the best guard dogs there is. They will let you know when something is around.

They taste like chicken! LOL :lmfao:

Don't believe I ever ate guinea meat or their eggs....don't think I ever saw one but maybe grandma hid that fact from me when we ate with her! LOL!!

When I was a kid @ 9 years old, in the working farm for kids being put up for adoption, I helped milk more than a dozen cows every morning and cared for a couple dozen chickens. The farm had all sorts of animals we learned to care for and raise.

Hi Martin, My brother and I had to help mom milk the cows before the school bus came at 7:00 a.m. and then mom would start the cream separator and we would keep it going by hand cranking at a speed that needed to be kept up, until the cream was separated from the milk! After school, we had to change clothes and help with all the chores on the farm including chopping wood, feeding hogs, getting hay from the loft for the cows and horses when we still had them, but dad bought a tractor and etc. so didn't need the horses any more! We did gardening, fed the chickens and gathered the eggs, plus helping can vegs and meat after dad butchered the cows and hogs! It was hard on us, but the hardest on mom, as dad worked in St. Louis a lot and wasn't home to help, except in the summer during his vacation time, he did the haying which we helped with, also! He had hay fever so badly that he sneezed and wiped his face and blew his nose a lot because of sweating so much! Wasn't a beauty contest when we were all dirty and sweaty from working in the fields when it was very hot, but we survived and managed to grow up and go out on our own! God Bless! Ma