Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PI in Fresh Water

docguin

Hello Everyone.

I am interested in knowing the thoughts of those that hunt freshwater with underwater PI machines. I hunt gold jewelry with VLF and PI and am wanting some input to fine tune my PI operation and advance to another level this year. Any and all thoughts on best machine, most sensitive to gold alloy, technique, etc.

I feel I may have been spending too much time with the VLF and may be missing gold. Digging will be good exercise.

docquin

To be honest A PI in a fresh water lake would drive me nuts.... but that's me.... one exception is if the lake was very clean .... most unlikely.......... there's just to much rusted out beer cans ...nails....that would sound like a 3 alarm fire bell on a PI .........My Choice would be a VLF water detector..... there's many good one's out there..... ......PI's are great detectors but the hunting area must be some what clean...

just my 2 cents

HH

Rob in ca,

I agree Rob. I have an Excalibur and a CZ-20 to cover the areas that simply cannot be hunted PI. Too many nails some places to hunt with a PI.

But I may be relying too much on the VLF the last couple years and missing targets in deeper sand. It will be more digging for sure, but I am also getting fat and old and need the exercise.

What gives the PI's 4 ace's in the hole are the salt water & black sand beach's...... where the VLF detectors go wacko....... and if you can get your VLF detector stable under these conditions ....the depth is very low....... and all the PI's just clean up on all the loot........

But my DFX & bigfoot coil and my Sovereign GT Rocks the (dry sand) of the salt water beach's .......... I just got a heavy set Platinum diamond Ring today with the GT sovereign on the dry sand about 500 feet from the suds.

HH

Rob in ca,

docquin

option # 2

I would go with a Garret LS as you can tune this PI to your hunting condition's........ As with a Beach PI ....they are Factory Pre-tune for Salt water and there are no other tuning adjustments.... and if you take a Beach PI to a fresh water lake it's a crab shoot if it's going to work ???......you can try it....but I would pick the LS..... PI's hold there Re-sale value pretty darn good so if it don't work out sell it on E-$"~Y .... and get back your $$$$$

HH

Rob in Ca.

I have six underwater machines and five are pi, including the White's Dual Field with the 12" coil. I live in Western Washington State and water hunt fresh water only. I also have half a dozen land machines. You are hunting or afraid you are missing deeper targets...go for the pi....you'll also get the exercise you seek. Experience using the machine will aid you. I hunt some spots where I only use my SandShark with the 7" coil because it has lots of nails. I bought the Dual Field with the 12" coil because I have a couple beaches where I know there are deep goodies. After all the years I have been hunting, I do not think I get any more junk than other hunters and I get my share of gold and silver, altho you can never get enough.

Rehless,

How are you liking that White's Dual Field? Do you think it beats the Infinium? Never tried a Sand Shark, tried the Tiger Shark VLF once, but didn't care for it.

docguin said:
I agree Rob. I have an Excalibur and a CZ-20 to cover the areas that simply cannot be hunted PI. Too many nails some places to hunt with a PI.

But I may be relying too much on the VLF the last couple years and missing targets in deeper sand. It will be more digging for sure, but I am also getting fat and old and need the exercise.

I use a Sovereign Gt...I like it I am looking into getting a good PI but I want to find a good used one not new :detecting::detecting:

I like the Dual Field. A bit more depth than the Pro I have. Only used the Tiger once, a week ago and
the water is still so damn cold here, couldn't concentrate. I have three Whit Pi's, two Tesoro water
machines and a Fisher Impulse pi. So far, I haven't used any thing that will beat the White's.

Those that use a Sovereign GT really seem to like it. I have the Excalibur, which is close. I considered the White's Dual Field but really wish they would waterproof the TDI. Would be all the water machine a guy would ever need. Why they didn't make it waterproof in the first place is beyond me.

To be honest any VLF Detector on the (wet sand) of a salt water beach with Threads of black sand has very little chance......... as all the PI"S just clean up on all the LOOT.......... My White's duel field Rules the Wet sand / surf line in some cases I'M better off with a shovel than a scoop.........but my Sovereign GT & DFX with the Bigfoot coil on the Dry sand part of the same beach works better for me...

HH

Rob in ca,