Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PI deeper than VLF in snow? Perhaps Minelab BBS?

BigErn

I know...Its summer but i live in winter 9 months out of the year so just thinking. Does anyone have any input or experience? Thanks HH!

I don't think either Pulse or BBS like not having a ground matrix but there's a heck of a lot of VLF's in the same boat such as my old XLT which didn't even like light fluffy soil.

The thing is though that if you have a deep P.I. it might not give its best performance on the first few inches of snow but may be working much better on the several inches of soil or sand beneath than a VLF or IB/TR.

A couple of years back I tried a couple of P.I.'s over my in ground test bed when the ground was frozen (no snow) and depth seemed slightly improved if anything which is not what I expected. I don't know if anyone else has tried this ?

Interesting....I think the reason you are getting better depth in the frozen ground is the fact that the ground is porous in the frozen stage. Its kinda the same effect when people say they have improved depth after it rains. The reason why i am asking this is because last year i had a friend skiing and he lost a ski on his first turn and the binding didn't work properly. I could only stand there as I watched his ski shoot down the hill and disappear. He had a miserable time getting down the mountain and it took me over an hour to locate his ski via probing. I bet It would have taken me 10 min if I had a deep detector that liked the snow and only snow. I don't think any detector would even come close to getting at the soil with a 70" base of snow but is about 2ft of snow reasonable to hit a large target?