Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Permission question...

Iyelllfour

Hello everyone!
I have a question, if anyone could answer it would be greatly appreciated! First off, I still consider myself New to M'Ding although I've been hunting off and on for the last 4-5 years. I live in Sacramento, Ca and I mainly hunt Parks, Sports fields and occasionally some areas that were known for gold mining in the mid 1800's to early 1900's. I've really started getting into it the last year or so as I have learned my detector a bit better and actually started making some decent finds. I'd like to venture out a bit and have just recently scoped out an old home (on a busy street) that had burned down and the the property has been bulldozed clean and is now up for sale for development. Do I need permission to hunt areas like these?? Is this considered private property?? There are no signs stating that it is private property. Any thoughts or comments??
Thanks again,
Jay in Ca

If the property is for sale, someone owns it and it is likely private property. Always get permission.

Thats what I figured, Thanks Larry. I have read postings from other members telling how they made some nice finds when buildings are torn down or demolished in cities. I always wondered if they needed permission to detect those areas as well, I'm sure they do. Anyway, thanks again!

When you go to ask permission of the owner, don't use the word "dig" or "dug"...It makes one think of a backhoe at worst & a round-ended shovel at best. Substitute the words "recover/recovery". And most recovery is "done with a trowel, similar to what your wife plants tulip bulbs with".

I always advise a landowner that after the first rain, all traces of my ever being there will be gone. Course you may have to modify that in CA!

And be certain to dress for success.

Good Luck! :biggrin:

Thats good Advice, I like the word 'Recover' over 'dig', it makes it sound so much more professional. As of now, the lot is vacant, I wouldn't even know how to get ahold of the people or person that owns the lot. So I guess I'll just stare at it and wonder what lies beneath as I drive my daughter to school everyday... Also, I'll switch up your phrase of "after the first rain, all traces of my ever being there will be gone" - to- 'after you water your yard, all traces of my ever being there will be gone!!' That should work.
What about schools?? I've also read that alot of people like to detect schools as well. Is detecting allowed on school property?? Of course not during school hours, I get that much.

Thanks again,
Jay in Ca

Im not as sophisticated as you boyz,guess thats the country boy in me, I never thought about using a big word like recovery, I just tell em, I have fun trying to find old coins. Some laugh and say sure go for it, some will tell you they want all the gold and then some say, nope, dont want no body on my property.
Yes, get permision. Our city has bought up a lot of older lots,removed the houses. Im lucky, I know a few folks at city hall and they get me permision to hunt these places. Very nasty lots, full of all kinds of junk and they dont mow em that well.
Schools, around here, some are fenced and locked up and some arent. I go to the ones not locked up, never have asked permision for that but I never cross a fence thats locked. Im sure its different in some places, so if its that way in yours, get that permision.
Very best of luck to you,
John

I have made contact with the real estate agent & let them what I wish to do & have obtained permission every time. If they act funny or bring up risk, I advise them that I have my own liability insurance & would be willing to sign a waiver if necessary.

:ranting: I came across my 1st bad guy a couple of weeks ago. He was a park ranger?????? So I called him from the phone # the manager gave me(this guy was really nice)the rangers #. I called him and and asked him if I might MD this small area(state prop.) just for coins. And you would have thought he would liked to have shoved his fist thru the phone line at me. Hell NO he said . This is a battle ground reinactment area. I told him that all I wanted to do was swing a a MD over the grounds. No digging or anything, and it's only like a 100 X 200 foot. And explained that I only wanted to go where the removable bleachers were. He said NO, if I catch you there I'll lock your A$$ up. I said thanks for nothing, and hung the phone up. Man this A-hole acted like he owned the place. (No signs or anything out front or anywhere. The 2nd weird 'O' that I've met up with lately (thank goodness). Oh well you got those 10%ers all over I guess. Hey HH guys. And like some of you said GET PERMISSION FIRST .:rage: KC

floridason :usaa: retired
2 MXT's, DX-1, Lotsa coils

Hey Jay, I was just in Sacramento yesterday :) Lots of old areas there :)

As for your first question, if I stumble upon a vacant lot (where perhaps something was ripped out recently), and if it's not posted or whatever, I just help myself. But that's just me. But go figure, you're asking your question on a forum where some people think we should get permission before even detecting a public sandbox, so what did answers did you think you'd get?

As for public schools and parks, no, you don't need permission. If you're skittish, you can always check to see if the parks or schools have any rules prohibiting metal detecting. Rules are usually printed on the wooden sign at the park entrance, or at the city or school's website (do a word search with the words "metal detecting", for example). If it is silent on the issue, then so be it! Of course, a lot (all?) schools nowadays are fenced, so as to avoid getting sued by someone who falls off the monkey-bars or whatever. But you'll notice there's usually still a turn-style or propped open gates anyhow, that allow after-school users to still enter (people who jog the track, use the fitness course, or whatever). There may be a sign that says something like "visitors check in at the office" or whatever, but fences and signs haven't seemed to stop after-school usage of the grounds, as far as I have seen.

floridason, I had to wince at your description of your phone call. While I don't want to dispute state of FL laws, for state-level land, I will say this: there's a lot of innocuous places like you describe, where ...... if you ask enough bureaucrats, you can ALWAYS find someone to tell you "no". But truth be told, I bet no one would probably ever have given you second thought, if you'd just gone. For example: someone who had recently moved to our town years ago, took it upon himself to go to city hall, to see if md'ing was allowed in our central park. Some desk-bound clerk lady told him "no". When he visits our local detecting club for the first time, he took exception to someone's entry in to the find-of-the-month contest, because the finder had found his old coin "in central park". The newbie raises his hand, and says "I thought md'ing at central park was off-limits?". The rest of us old-timers turned around, looked at him, and said "since when? where'd you get that info?" That's when he told us ........... he asked! doh! This was news to the rest of us, because the park had been detected for YEARS, and no one ever cared less. All we could figure was he got someone who's image was geeks with shovels, or morphed else to apply, etc.... In other words, sometimes ....... no one cares..... UNTIL you ask.

When I started I did contact the parks super just to let him know what I was doing & more importantly let him know I would not be using a shovel. He simply said go for it just don't leave any big holes. As for other spots I like to try to get permission on vacant lots or old vacant homes.