Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Permission psychology 101

UFOsAreReal

The phraseology used is very important when asking to detect. If you use the word "Permission"..( As in.. Can I have permission?). Most people will assume then, that to do what you want to do "Requires permission". Ergo... It is in their purview to grant or deny permission. In this situation the person may very well likely deny you permission because they will err on the side of caution. In case "something" happens.. it wont be their fault.

Avoid the word "Permission".
Instead say something like " Would you mind if I tried out my metal detector here?
or
I'm a metal detecting hobbyist and was interested in trying my luck in or on (Name the area most unlikely to cause alarm). DO NOT say "Front Lawn" or "Rose Garden". If its a schoolyard say " Around the baseball field / Football field "

Always be polite. Dress clean. Leave your detecting gear in the car.

Yea. Leave the Detector in the car. For some reason machines seem to intimidate people.
I aways ask anyway, if at all posible. I only had one turn down at a private soccer field. The guy who was in charge careing
for the field was polite: "I know you guys always try to cover the holes but I'd rather you didn't detect here. Its private property anyway and the holes always turn yellow." I didn't argue with him. I packed it in and left. I had been there three weekends prior and really cleaned the place out anyway. i made the mistake this time coming on a Tuesday!:lol:

RR

For over 30+ years now asking permission and using the word pemission has always worked very well for me. I have been denied permission to metal detect private property, but believe me it was not because I used the word permission. If you feel you have to use pychologly to get permission to hunt someone's property then so be it, but until I quit detecting the word Pemission will always be used along with some good people skills like smiles, handshakes, etc. JMHO HH Dennis in Idaho

I kind of agree with you. It's not like you are trying to pull anything over on these people. It's just human nature. Ask someone a question 5 different ways, and you may get 5 different answers. I see nothing wrong with posing your question so that you have the best chance of success. Great post and a great strategy.

"May I metal detector your yard?" or "Can I metal detect your yard?"
No matter how you ask psychology is always involved. I mostly present my self(name) and my hobby etc, this can result in a conversation which I think is good.
I agree with most said.