Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

people that pass us by

david(tx)

the elementary school in my hometown was refered to as south ward,at the time there were 4 elementary schools the others being east,north and west.the person the school was named for was fanny finch and was sometimes refered to as this.

it was an old red brick school with hardwood floors,with the auditorium doubling as lunch room also,and if you rode the bus to school you had to wait in the auditorium for school to start so the powers at be put a television on the stage and had it tuned to a station that had the 3 stooges on in the morning.there was a lot of jockeying for postion to get the best seats and fights would sometimes break out trying to be first off the bus and into the auditorium.

this year was the fourth grade,a time i don't remember worrying about to much,my teachers name was mrs.bourland,she must have been in her 50's or 60's i don't really remember,but she was a squat woman who wore those inch to two inch heels on her shoes,and when she walked down the halls on those hardwood floors it sounded like a flamenco dancer tuning up for a performance,and we could always tell when she was coming back into the the room,so if we were goofing off or talking we would stop at the sound.

mrs.bourland lived in a small community outside of mckinney called blue ridge,she would always come to school telling us stories about how her dog had run a coon or got sprayed by a skunk,and we were her captive audience.
if you got in trouble in her class she would grab your arm and smack you on the back with the flat of her hand real fast about three or for times,i don't know why but i would always laugh when she did it to someone else but not me.

two people stood out in my mind this particular school year,one was donald barlow,he was a short kid,and he was poor like a lot of kids in my area of town,i believe he was raised by a single mom and he and his brothers ran wild,they lived closer to downtown in a older house not to far from a city park that had a creek and a nice sized thicket of trees and there was a florist shop with a small pond and a few greenhouses outback,so some wildlife would creep into town along that creek.
i believe it was around christmas time,and kids were getting new clothes,i remember donald was coming to school with new jeans,and shirts,i know he probably felt pretty good.
one day,donald must have worn the same new jeans tho school a couple of days in a row,mrs.bourland was at the head of the class,and stuck her nose in the air sniffing like she thought she had stepped in some dog poop,and said what's that smell.she then proceded to go around the class and sniff every student till she got to donald.she said donald what's that smell,have you been sprayed by a skunk,to which he replied yes.she said how could you come to school like this,and went to the principals office got a can of glade and sprayed him with it,then after that they sent him home.i could see the humiliation in his eyes and the hurt also,he didn't know much better,he had knew clothes,and was proud of them,and his mother probably just didn't pay attention.

i saw donald a couple of times after elementary school,he went with the times and dressed the dress of the sixties,he smoked like the rest of us,and i think he eventually quit school,he was just one of those people who pass you by.

the second of person of the two was a fellow student that went to school maybe a month in two years,that's right a month in two years in the fourth and fifth grade.his name was tyler byford,i met him in a unusual way,it was in mrs.bourland's class,remember the hardwood floors and flamenco tuneup,well when tyler came on the scene it was a full fledged performance.
while sitting in class about a month into the school year,there was a commotion in the hallway with people hollering and pleadind and the sound of hard leather heels slamming and banging on the floor,when into the doorway appeared the principal with his arms around tyler's chest from behind with tyler kicking and screaming no and his mother there also with a look of frustration on her face.

tyler wore black framed glasses,and was a pretty good sized kid,when he finally got sat down he calmed,although his eyes would dart around to see if anyone was looking at him,they sat him right next to me.i carried on a few conversations with tyler those couple of weeks but didn't get much out of him,but the one thing i learned about tyler was that he made straight a's.

tyler did all his school work with ease,as a matter of fact he looked bored like this was kiddie stuff to him,and just as quickly as he appeared,he left after a couple of weeks.the next year the same scenario played out and went by,just the same as the previous year.never knew where tyler lived in town,i just knew he was above us in book smarts and that he probably shouldn't have been there with us,i always wondered what he went on to become,i guess he was just one of those people who pass us by.

People that pass us by. Man that has to get us to thinking. We all have them. There were two people that surely had an effect on your life and they were just passing through. I have often wondered what happened to many friends and those that just passed by.

Thanks for opining a new area for story's

After reading your story, I thought about a few kids that I have always wondered what happened to them. One kid, Tommy Summers, always smelled bad because he went coon hunting several nights a week...the animal smell must have soaked into his skin. I lost track of him after the eight grade. Another kid, a girl by the name of Gail Hayden, let out a fart in class when we were in the eight grade. Up until this time, I did not know that girls farted, I was shocked at what she did. I lost track of her in the tenth grade. I enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

agree with Royal. This opens up a new topic for everyone! I know kids can be mean, but an adult should know better. Shame on her!!

There was a girl in our school, and every year someone would pick Teresa Sanders up from school, take her to get a new pair of saddle oxfords, and have her hair cut and curled. Teresa was a very quiet girl, and also made very good grades. She came from an extremely poor family and although she was probably proud of this, I think it embarressed her because of the circumstances. Who ever did this good deed never gave it a second thought to her feelings! :(

we never had much. I told about it many times. We lived in a basement home and had an outhouse. I never had a barber cut my hair until I was about 12 years old and we were pretty much stuck with using our imagination to entertain ourselves. Something most kids seem to have lost the ability to do today.

The thing was, we never felt poor. We had food and our cloths were always clean. Most of our friends were in the same situation so we never felt that we were lacking in anything.

Skip Doyle was our age but a big kid. His dad was a businessman and to us, was rich. They lived right up the hill from us. Skip was also a prick. He ended up being a policeman in Pontiac Michigan and retired a Captain.

The thing I will always remember about Skip was what he did to me in front of other kids. My mother had just bought me a pair of new shoes. You know those black and white shoes the kids wore in the 50's. They were IN style and the first shoes I can remember ever having that were special. The other kids had them but we could not afford them. Somehow my parents managed to get me a pair, I don't remember the particulars.

I went to school and in science class Skip Doyle started teasing me about the pretty new shoes. Other kids made cracks too and I was mortified. I was not one of the in kids and they said I was just trying to be one. Maybe I was, I don't know but one thing happened that day. I never, to this day, figured a person was any better than me just because of what their daddy made or who they were. It really pissed me off but there was little I could do about it but bear it.

It is amazing how some moron can be such a huge influence on a persons life and never know it.

There were many things I could not do because my parents didn't have the money. I excepted that but I never figured it should have been a school sponsored event if every kid was not able to join.

My daughters wanted to get on a after school skiing team. It was after school hours but she school sponsored it. I asked if every kid that wanted to join could and they said that they could if the parents could afford the gear. I would not let them join. I told them that if they wanted to ski it would be OK on weekends but there was no way they were gonna be in a school backed event if EVERY child in the school could not join.

Bloomfield Hills High Schools graduating class trip was to Hawaii!!! Now these were rich kids but there were only 13 kids that could go but the school still backed it. What a farce.

This is one of my pet peeves so I better leave it there.

in school, the school paid for the cheerleader uniforms. Now they tell them if they do not have at least $650, then they shouldn't even try out. It teaching the wrong thing to our kids for sure!

My parents, as yours, did without things just to buy us something special we really wanted. John has told the story many time when my mother wore rubber thong shoes in the winter, so we could have warm ones!!!

Kids can be so cruel!!!! :(