Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Paydirt

Flipndirt

I purchased a 4lb bag of paydirt to practice with, it has tons of gold dust in it. Question: what's the best way to get all the gold out of the black sand. A lot of it floats?

Thanks!

Jet dry,surfactant, is a surface tension inhibitor and as so reduces floatation and friction considerably. All soap does is make micron sized gold float. Google floatation cell as they were widely utilized in the American Flats plant east of Carson City, as yes even making bubbles with eucalyptus oil is a recovery method utilized mostly in days of old. You can use soap to clean up your cons but must be extremely cautious and let the bibbles pop prior to pouring off or the loss is yours-John

Thanks for the replies, I have used the jet dry. It helps some but still don't sink it all? Was thinking maybe a melting pot kit... Anyone use one of those devices?

There is also flakes that look gold, but when you hold them up to the light you can see through them, like (fish scales)???

Yep... sounds like mica.
Force a metal object (coin, standard screw driver, putty knife, etc.) against these so-called gold pieces, if they break or become crushed pieces, it is not gold. Gold is a mineral metal and while it can be cut, it is pliable when put to such a test.

Yah, the flakes can be broke with a finger nail. I have found six little pickers in it though.:cheers:

Nice work finding the "real" gold. At least the gent that sold you the pay dirt gave you somewhat of a good experience. Actually looking at an educational experience, you now have a better idea as to how to distinguish real gold vs. "fools gold." It's a lesson that every miner must acquire during his prospecting venture. Kudos to you and your gold pickers!

On another note, I'd thought I'd share with you a few pics of my recent winter prospecting finds.

I have ordered paydirt from a few places, I will not speak badly of the aweful ones but I will tell you of one that blew the others right out of the water. There is a simple website if you google dirthogg, I ordered the 5lb bag. This bag gave me a couple nuggets and a ton of flakes and black sand and little gems of some sorts, they were perfect for testing my detector on different size nuggets and flakes of real gold. I got to practice my panning as well, it took me 3 rounds before I got every last flake lol.

I just though I would save anyone headaches or from getting ripped off. You get more than your moneys worth with that place, especially if you have experienced the mediocre quality of most of them out there. You will know you got real gold when you hammer it and it flattens out, even the small stuff will flatten out.

undersc0re said:
I just though I would save anyone headaches or from getting ripped off.
Uhhh hate to burst your bubble, but you might want to do the math on your 5 lb. bag. I guarantee you that you're way better off purchasing the raw gold on your own, and then mixing it with your own dirt.