Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Part of my mothers legacy

Dan-MO

Recently some long time friends of my family-a husband and wife who are neighbors to my father and late mother for 40 years-have had some tough luck.Both worked all there lives and recently retired.Bob has Medicare and a suplemental insurance provided by the company he worked for.Just weeks before he retired he enrolled his wife Mary -who is not yet old enough for Medicare - into his insurance plan. A few weeks later Mary was diagnosed with a very aggressive type of cancer.The doctors are somewhat optimistic about her prognosis and began agressively treating her horrible disease......when the medical bills began to roll in the insurance company denyed payment-and promptly dropped Mary from the plan citing a pre existing condition clause in the plan-leaving them oweing thousands and thousands of dollars in medical bills and with a long way to go in the treatments necessary to save her life.Their life savings were almost instantly gone and with their respectable yet modest retirement income they have too much income to qualify for any kind of State or Federal aid such as Medicaid.They are working with the doctors and hospitals to get a reduced rate - but the bills are still extremely high

Many of their friends and neighbors along with several church groups have had or are planning fund raising events to help these beloved people.Among the events planned is a charity auction next month....

My mother passed away earlier this year after a long illness.Before she became ill she was a lover of antiques and collected antique glassware of different types-some quite valuable.They remain to this day on display in china and curio cabinets in my fathers home-just as she placed them.There are also several boxes she carefully wrapped other pieces in and stored away in the garage.Neither me, my brothers, or my father have even touched them since her death-speaking for myself it was and is just too painful to go thru the things that brought her such pleasure.

Earlier this week my father and brothers and myself got together and dad brought up the subject of moms glassware collection.He offered to give any of us any of it we wanted-we each took a piece for a keepsake and dad suggested - with our approval-that the rest of it along with the cabinets they were stored in be donated to his and mom's long time friends auction.It won't be enough to treat her disease-but it will help them some and I know my mother would approve and be happy to see her collection go toward helping one of her friends in need.It will be donated in her name.

Not to get political and I certainly am not smart enough to have the answers- but it seems to me that the health care industry in this Country - which has the best Doctors,hospitals and medicine in the world-is rapidly becoming a unaffordable luxury for the average middle class working person.The poor have access because of various aid programs - and I do not begrudge them this in any way what so ever-and the rich can afford it.It seems that the guy in the middle is getting squeezed especially with company paid health insurance almost a thing of the past.This just doesn't seem right to me

your Mother's treasures to that auction. You folks are good people, wish that there were more like you all. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

as far as helth care goes, ya hit the nail right on the head!

I think you all are on the right track. Your Daddy has benefited from your mother's love over the years...and it shows...even through his kids.

Your mother's legacy lives! ...and you continue, my friend, to build one of your very own. <><

aj

These insurance companies..........no honor, no shame ! I'd likely seek one consultation with a good lawyer if I were them. Seems to me that the onus is on the insurance company to prove that your friends were aware of her condition. Having said that, no kind gesture or act of charity performed by you and your family surprises me anymore. You consistently set the standard for how things should be carried out and I'm proud to call you my friend ! :thumbup:

n/t

n/t

family. I think your mother is smiling because the decision your dad and you all made! It is so hard not to have them here with us isn't it? Knowing they are in a much better place is supposed to ease our hurt, but I am so selfish that sometimes this does not work for me. Still, we know how they would want us to act, and that's all we can do is try. This should have made it to the story portion of the forum. I thought it was great for you to share your mother's legacy with us. Thanks! :)