Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Part III Tale of "Three Sisters, and a pair of Twins" Part III

Ron J

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE I OVERLOOKED: All of these Lights were built to SAVE LIFES! There were so many shipwrecks,between Cape Ann (Gloucester),and Nantucket,and SO many lifes lost,these beautiful Lighthouses,we take for granted,were placed in strategic locations,to stop as many as possible. In part III we are going to visit the "Twin" that was "left behind" at its original Location, Chatham Massachusetts. What a beautiful place!The beaches and area are magnificent,i can't describe the area,but the pictures help a little. A little history,behind the "lone Twin" you are viewing.... The chatham lights were the second Lighthouses to be built on Cape Cod. The Harbor constantly changes,with sand being relocated during storms,is considered a danger because of shifting sandbars. The Light your viewing is actually the THIRD SET of lights built in the immediate area. The first pair were built of wood,and 40 foot tall,built in in late 1700,or early 1800! They were set up to be movable range lights.They would be set to line up,meaning a safe channel entrance, for Mariners.If a ship was approaching the harbor,and the lights were not lined up,you were at risk to end up on a sandbar! Chatham is located at the southeastern tip of the Cape,and "Twins" were built to distingush the Single Light of Highland, located at the Northern end of the Cape! Remember, this in the 1800's with Sails for power,Navigational skills with a compass,sextant etc.,were extremely important,and of course Luck! No Radar,No Radio,and no Reversing an engine to slow or stop.You would hear "Anchors Away". The First Pair were replaced by brick towers in 1841! In 1870 the Keeper of the light,reported the lights to be a little over 200 feet from the cliff. In 1876,only 95 feet,and in 1877,only 48 feet!! In 1879, the South Tower slid over the banks,the North tower 15 month later,was also gone!! Fortunately,the Lights,of the Second set of Twins,had been removed,as the Twins i am writing and showing were being built,and completed in 1881!! They are built of iron plates,and lined with bricks. As you read in part one, the end of the "Twins" came in 1923,when they moved the other to Nauset. Chatham Light also serves as a current Coast Guard Station,as you can see.The location of the missing "Twin was to the right of the keepers house.The slab is still there.[attachment 54923 lighthousesCapeCod100.jpg][attachment 54924 lighthousesCapeCod101.jpg][attachment 54925 lighthousesCapeCod104.jpg][attachment 54928 lighthousesCapeCod103.jpg] Here is the Beautiful seen looking from the Light..[attachment 54926 lighthousesCapeCod097.jpg][attachment 54927 lighthousesCapeCod098.jpg] More to come.......I didn't mention the photos of Highland Light,or Coast Guard Beach,did I ? RJ :D

When we used to camp on the cape, we made it a point to stop and park across from the light and take the wooden steps down to the beach and have a picnic. We were there one day as the fog rolled in. Making our way back to the car, the auto-foghorn kicked in, darned near made me wet myself!:laugh: