Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oyster shell question

Nox63

I live in central Pennsylvania, I find a lot of oyster shells in my yard when I’m digging, detecting. What is the time period for oyster shells? Is it 1700s or more 1800s? Any information about this would be awesome. Thanks hh

Hi,
it is possible that someone in your area consumed a lot of oysters in the past. Otherwise, most of central Pennsylvania is made up of sedimentary rocks that are reported to be between 350 million and 250 million years old (Paleozoic).
One of the important fossils from that time are the mollusks=oysters. Could be you are digging in really old oyster beds. Supposedly, the Paleozoic era ended with a global die off of just about every living thing from some kind of catastrophic event
like a kill shot from an asteroid or a super volcano eruption. Pretty cool.

Hey nox, I can tell you here on the east side of the state a heavy concentration of oyster shells often reflects a time period of between 1880 to 1920s...obviously there still making oyster shells lol,but many times turn of the century (1800-1900) dumps and privys have a high concentration of them..finding coins or broken glass in the same area might narrow it down..

Yes I know I read something about oysters being popular in a certain time period but I couldn’t remember when. I know we had the canals running through this area and then the railroad. I don’t how they were brought into the area to consume.

A few years ago when I first started hunting an older park that’s actually an island in the middle of a millpond,I would find very deep silver at 8-10”, but found “shells” ABOVE that level at 5-8”. This was strange because this isn’t an old homesite. It came to me last year that they had done a renovation years back and dredged the millpond,depositing the material in the area I was digging in order to build it up a foot or so. The silver I was finding was mixed “shiny” and “tarnished”...and the tarnished pieces apparently came from the old swimming area that was part of the area they dredged. I was baffled at first...but the puzzle was solved afterward,just as I’m sure yours will be.

I read somewhere that oyster shells were commonly used on the east coast as "back fill" as well to level roads and lots to build on. Just something to consider. :wacko: